Shane Edwards

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Men
    Thomson Dow (Bendigo Pioneers) Noah Cumberland (Brisbane Lions Academy)
    Will Martyn (Brisbane Lions Academy) Hugo Ralphsmith (Sandringham Dragons)
    Bigoa Nyuon (Dandenong Stingrays)
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Women
    Sophie Molan (GWV Rebels) Laura McClelland (Eastern Ranges)
    Ella Wood (GMV Rebels) Sarah Sansonetti (Northern Knights)
    Holly Whitford (Melbourne University) Nekaela Butler (GWV Rebels)
    Cleo Saxon-Jones (Western Jets) Laura Bailey (Richmond VFLW)
    Emma Horne (Richmond VFLW) Kate Dempsey (Richmond VFLW)
    Ciara Fitzgerald (Northern Knights) Emily Harley (Oakleigh Chargers)
    Lauren Tesoriero (Richmond VFLW)
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Gimme

Recruit
Sep 27, 2007
When (not 'if') we get a few things clicking the right way I expect to see more than just Tich doing the right things.

Wonderful what a little confidence can do for the skill levels.

(apologies to Mrs E for calling her son 'Tich')

HKTiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Mar 19, 2004
Shane Edwards is a Francis Jackson special. He openly stated the positive attributes which are now being highlighted in the pre-draft night in 2006.

Bornfor3121

Recruit
May 10, 2005
for what it is worth...i think he is one player who is actually developing this year...prob a bit too loose to play in defence but mid/hf is his possie...

Lazza

Recruit
Oct 3, 2007
HKTiger said:
Shane Edwards is a Francis Jackson special. He openly stated the positive attributes which are now being highlighted in the pre-draft night in 2006.
Gee, that's one of a minority he may get right.
I personally dont like the profile FJ targets. A distinct lack of hardness, agression and physical attributes in the majority of his selections - and lots of introverts with average disposal skills. But hey, they probably all get along like a house on fire.

We can thank FJ for:
Patrick Bowden
JON
Cleve Hughes
Casserly
Matthew White
Angus Graham
Jeremy Humm
Cam Howat
Polak
Jumpin Jack
Shane Edwards
Carl Petersen
Daniel Connors
Andrew Collins
Kingsley
Tasman Clingan
Jake King
McMahon
Cotchin
Rance
Dean Putt
David Gourdis
Clayton Collard
Silvester

Then Cameron took over.

HKTiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Mar 19, 2004
Lazza said:
Gee, that's one of a minority he may get right.
I personally dont like the profile FJ targets. A distinct lack of hardness, agression and physical attributes in the majority of his selections - and lots of introverts with average disposal skills. But hey, they probably all get along like a house on fire.

We can thank FJ for:
Patrick Bowden - Trade GM's choice
JON
Cleve Hughes - FJ in the job 1 month
Casserly - FJ in the job 1 month
Matthew White - PSD - trained with the Tiges and selected based on that
Angus Graham
Jeremy Humm
Cam Howat - Already at the club
Polak - Trade GM's choice
Jumpin Jack - FJ's favourite
Shane Edwards - FJ's 2nd/3rd favourite. Tom Hislop his other. GM wanted B. Renouf
Carl Petersen
Daniel Connors
Andrew Collins
Kingsley - TW's choice
Tasman Clingan
Jake King - Coburg
McMahon - TW/GM Choice
Cotchin
Rance
Dean Putt
David Gourdis
Clayton Collard
Silvester - Coburg upgrade

Then Cameron took over.
FJ's job is/was to watch TAC and Junior leagues through out Oz and identify and classify talent to a set of KPI's established by GM, himself and the Match Committee. Recruits from other AFL clubs and upgrades from Coburg were not and are not his purvey. The Football Manager and coaches who watch those guys train are responsible for these selections. Remember all PSD picks trained at Richmond for over 4 weeks before being selected.

Judge him on who he rated by the criteria given and when he was in the job full time.

If you prefer 2009 draftees, and currently there is a fair bit to like, then given the right selection criteria, FJ gets it right.

Lazza

Recruit
Oct 3, 2007
HKTiger said:
FJ's job is/was to watch TAC and Junior leagues through out Oz and identify and classify talent to a set of KPI's established by GM, himself and the Match Committee. Recruits from other AFL clubs and upgrades from Coburg were not and are not his purvey. The Football Manager and coaches who watch those guys train are responsible for these selections. Remember all PSD picks trained at Richmond for over 4 weeks before being selected.

Judge him on who he rated by the criteria given and when he was in the job full time.

If you prefer 2009 draftees, and currently there is a fair bit to like, then given the right selection criteria, FJ gets it right.
So far his 2009 draftees are mostly looking ok, but as with Cotch, the drovers dog could have picked Martin. Actually the 2009 draft is looking pretty good across most clubs.

True he was part time - he had 2 jobs the other was as a sports teacher. Nonetheless From 2005 thru 2007 he was responsible for all recruiting and had 3 staff and 6 talent scouts. In that role he will have had a say in all recruits, just as Cameron does. He might not have had the last say - I hope he spat it on a few of the dud trades we picked up. And he may have been compromised by his close friendship with Miller who bought him to the club.

Having said that, back on topic, I'm glad he recruited Titch. [:-thumbu]

HKTiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Mar 19, 2004
Lazza said:
So far his 2009 draftees are mostly looking ok, but as with Cotch, the drovers dog could have picked Martin. Actually the 2009 draft is looking pretty good across most clubs.

True he was part time - he had 2 jobs the other was as a sports teacher. Nonetheless From 2005 thru 2007 he was responsible for all recruiting and had 3 staff and 6 talent scouts. In that role he will have had a say in all recruits, just as Cameron does. He might not have had the last say - I hope he spat it on a few of the dud trades we picked up. And he may have been compromised by his close friendship with Miller who bought him to the club.

Having said that, back on topic, I'm glad he recruited Titch. [:-thumbu]
Lazza,

He was responsible for recruiting for the National and Rookie Draft (excluding Coburg rookies) only. Sorry to be pedantic, but he was in charge of spotting 17 and 18 year old kids and listing them in some sort of order/priority for GM to read their number out at drafts. This extended last year to SANFL, WAFL and the TFL.

Trades done in the trading period are the responsibility of the Football Manager (GM and CC and at the behest of the coaches). Coburg rookies are via the extended training that they do with teh RFC between the drafts and that covers some rookies as well (Will Thursfield, Relton Roberts etc.)

RROFO

Recruit
Dec 26, 2007
The thing that I remind myself of is that FJ is there to do a job. He's given a profile for the sorts of players the coach wants and then goes out to identify them.

It is not his job to decide what is best for the club in regards to specific needs. His own personal view might be that the club needs a couple of big imposing KPPs with good skills, but if it is not his brief to target those players then his hands are tied.

You do not know who he presented and recommended pre-draft. He may well have put forward players who were discounted but that we the supporters would have been very happy with.

I suppose it would be reasonable to suggest that FJ would understand the direction the club was taking and perhaps agree with it. If he was having to pick a lot of players he really didn't like then you would think job satisfaction would be pretty low.

Unfortunately we do not know exactly what he was asked to do or what he is thinking, so it is hard to judge. What I can say is that the drafting last year was a little different to the preceding years. We do not seem to have drafted any X-Factor / project players in the National Draft, sensibly, IMO, we seem to have reserved them for the Rookie Draft.

Perhaps Dea is one? Griff might also be seen as a risk but he certainly fills a need, and from the sounds of it, if his shoulders are ok, then he was the best possible choice at that pick.

It will be very interesting to see who we target now that DH is a the helm.

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
RROFO said:
The thing that I remind myself of is that FJ is there to do a job. He's given a profile for the sorts of players the coach wants and then goes out to identify them. .................It will be very interesting to see who we target now that DH is a the helm.
I think there is two separate thought processes at work.

One is a longer term view using the top national draft picks and rookies.

The second would be a shorter term view using late national draft picks and the PSD.

I wouldn't think Hardwick or any coach would have much input in the first one as he may not be around for the full scope of that planning. I am talking 5 to 8 years where a coaches contract is (and should be shorter)

However he would be all over the short term plan

SouthernStand

Recruit
Jul 21, 2005
RROFO said:
We do not seem to have drafted any X-Factor / project players in the National Draft, sensibly, IMO, we seem to have reserved them for the Rookie Draft.
Depends what you regards as X-Factor I suppose. I see that as players with an individual flair that may see them become something special. I put Taylor and Roberts in this category and maybe Griff as well to some degree. project players being more longer term I also agree seem to have been on the Rookie list, except maybe Dea, who may take some time.