Shane Edwards

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Men
    Thomson Dow (Bendigo Pioneers) Noah Cumberland (Brisbane Lions Academy)
    Will Martyn (Brisbane Lions Academy) Hugo Ralphsmith (Sandringham Dragons)
    Bigoa Nyuon (Dandenong Stingrays)
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Women
    Sophie Molan (GWV Rebels) Laura McClelland (Eastern Ranges)
    Ella Wood (GMV Rebels) Sarah Sansonetti (Northern Knights)
    Holly Whitford (Melbourne University) Nekaela Butler (GWV Rebels)
    Cleo Saxon-Jones (Western Jets) Laura Bailey (Richmond VFLW)
    Emma Horne (Richmond VFLW) Kate Dempsey (Richmond VFLW)
    Ciara Fitzgerald (Northern Knights) Emily Harley (Oakleigh Chargers)
    Lauren Tesoriero (Richmond VFLW)
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Jase30

Recruit
Nov 30, 2008
I think it must have been Shane's first game against Adelaide where he really tried to take them on. He got caught a few times but also did a few good things. I thought then that he could be a very good player, and I believe he is well on the way.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Dunc and his time notations are awesome! Now, put your hand up if you have got out the tape of the game and gone back to check if Dunc is on the money....I would but work and wife just won't allow it. :D

Liked Shane's first half - how pissed would he have been that Jack shelled that mark after Shane had hit him flush with a ripper pass on the left?!! :nono:

duncan

Foundation Member
Aug 6, 2003
arwon32 said:
Please don't be offended Dunc I wasn't haing a crack at you. I can't see anywhere that you coadvocate Shane. However the fact that you watch the game then afterwards replay the game and make notations showing the time and which quarter on his good plays in the first half I find concerning. Maybe some therapy is required here (tongue in cheek Dunc). Would have liked to see the same notations after the Sydney & Melbourne games from you..... Maybe some well earned therapy should be undertaken by all tiger supporters to get us through the year!
Obviously I don't make notations as a general rule. After watching the game live last week, and having read a lot of negative comments about Shane in recent times, I decided to note down some of his good plays to illustrate a point ie that his handball can unlock congestion, and send the team forward.

I was going to watch the replay of that match anyway,as I always do in the days following a game, so it was little extra trouble to note a few plays down. By giving the exact times I gave people a chance to check and see whether I was talking bullshit.It was to back up my assertion.

Watching live this week I saw him do 2 excellent things in a row in the first qtr, so I reached for a pen and paper and noted the time. He kept doing good things, so I kept noting them down. I haven't yet watched the replay, so it was all done efficiently, and with little bother.

Therefore, no need for you to be "concerned" at all.

Whatever the process, backing up your arguments/theories with solid, reasonable evidence can only be a good thing.

arwon32

Recruit
Feb 16, 2007
Beating my head against a brick wall here. Sign are ominous when no one can work out what your position is.

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
The old positions are pretty much irrelevent - just have a look at the Bulldogs v Saints game to see that

Anduril

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Site Immortal
Jul 25, 2007
HKTiger said:
Arwon,

Funny you mention the Swans game. On this forum Dan J. has balanced support. On other forums he is one of (many) scapegoats. In the Swans game DJ was the guy who locked the ball in a contest so many times and he got from contest to contest. And he was physically throwing himself at the contest to lock it down. No wonder he missed the Freo game, he would have been so sore after the Swans game and would not have been able to come up.
Dan played against Melb the week after that & was sore for pretty much most of the game...hence the miss against Freo.

Gee I admire anyone who can watch us lose again on replay.

Gimme

Recruit
Sep 27, 2007
Vines said:
Dunc and his time notations are awesome! Now, put your hand up if you have got out the tape of the game and gone back to check if Dunc is on the money....I would but work and wife just won't allow it. :D
I would if I had a recording of the game. [:p]

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Yeah, might give "name a game" a miss for May 2, 2010 v Geelong.

...now if anyone has Monday night footy circa '95 v North Melbourne and can burn onto dvd, PM me and we'll talk the numbers.

HKTiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Mar 19, 2004
Anduril said:
Dan played against Melb the week after that & was sore for pretty much most of the game...hence the miss against Freo.

Gee I admire anyone who can watch us lose again on replay.
Th International Footy sute hosted by Telstra sucks, the speed is atrocious and many games don't get put up. Funnily enough I watch the Super 14's live via streaming no issues. So the technology exists. Telstra just can't be bothered.

So I rely on the CD's that my Dad burns and sends. It takes two weeks and then I watch at my leisure. But yeah sometimes get my timing out. I'll watch the Dee's game with interest. If Dan is just as hard at it (which I fully believe he is), then I know why he missed the Freo game.

I'm just totally bemused about how so many armchair "experts" only watch kicks and handpasses and not the "hard stuff". DJ has another few years in a Tiges guernsey from what I've seen.

arwon32

Recruit
Feb 16, 2007
Anduril positions may be nonexistant as you say but they are either given a role in defence or attack or midfield. We know Shane is not playing midfield and has been in defence yet I often see comments in this site thatpeople are unsure on whathis best position is.

Anduril

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Site Immortal
Jul 25, 2007
HKTiger said:
Th International Footy sute hosted by Telstra sucks, the speed is atrocious and many games don't get put up. Funnily enough I watch the Super 14's live via streaming no issues. So the technology exists. Telstra just can't be bothered.

So I rely on the CD's that my Dad burns and sends. It takes two weeks and then I watch at my leisure. But yeah sometimes get my timing out. I'll watch the Dee's game with interest. If Dan is just as hard at it (which I fully believe he is), then I know why he missed the Freo game.

I'm just totally bemused about how so many armchair "experts" only watch kicks and handpasses and not the "hard stuff". DJ has another few years in a Tiges guernsey from what I've seen.
Feel your pain HKT!

I hope Dan's around for a few more years too...... mainly 'cause I sponsor him. ;)

duncan

Foundation Member
Aug 6, 2003
arwon32 said:
Said it before on other threads & will continue to say it. Unfortunately I've seen enough of Tich now to know that we need to cut our losses.
Still think we should cut our losses? Will you continue to say it that we should?

arwon32 said:
It will take more than 1 game to convince me of his worth on the list.
How about 3 good games in a row?

I think Shane is answering his critics.

arwon32

Recruit
Feb 16, 2007
3 good games??? Give us a spell Dunc. At half time i thought we are really starting to see something here but IMO I thought he fell away drastically after that - but he wasn't on his own.
I'm amused that you don't appear to comment on when he pays an ordinary game as he has for 1/2 the season. Definitely a positive was that his skill level was very good last night.

duncan

Foundation Member
Aug 6, 2003
arwon32 said:
3 good games??? Give us a spell Dunc. At half time i thought we are really starting to see something here but IMO I thought he fell away drastically after that - but he wasn't on his own.
I'm amused that you don't appear to comment on when he pays an ordinary game as he has for 1/2 the season. Definitely a positive was that his skill level was very good last night.
Yes, 3 good games in a row, R1.

I'm glad I'm keeping you amused. I'm sorry that I haven't made a particular comment on Edwards' performance every game. It may have something to do with only starting this thread on the 28th April. Before that there wasn't a specific "shane edwards" thread.

Luke n Cogz

Recruit
Nov 26, 2005
Shanes first half was by far BOG yesterday, but I didnt see the end of the game.

I noticed he was moved away from the HB line, and IMO, he is so much stronger (not physically) when on the ball or HF.

Keep going shane, your going great!

Always have and always will be a big fan of yours.

Anduril

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Site Immortal
Jul 25, 2007
Shane didn't have a good start to the season, but I'm with Duncan, he's put several excellent games together.

Scotty@Bull

Recruit
May 7, 2007
Titch was probably the player that frustrated me the most in about rounds 1 - 4 but I have been turned around hugely in the last 3 games. Not so much about his end stats but more about the way he plays the game. He is now hanging onto the ball and having the confidence to weave through traffic to find a better option. Keep up the great work!

Owl

Recruit
Dec 17, 2004
Shedwards looks to have found his confidence, I think he is getting better each week.

hully

Recruit
Mar 31, 2006
GO THE SHED!

Scotty@Bull said:
He is now hanging onto the ball and having the confidence to weave through traffic to find a better option. Keep up the great work!
The same thing people have been critical of ;)

Kustom

Recruit
Jul 29, 2007
I give the kid one thing his decision making with the ball in his hands is something to behold ok still makes the odd howler but at times shows an elite ability in this regard.

Leave him on the ball/HF and put 5kgs on him at the end of the year he will win us games if he keeps improving at this rate

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
One passage of play that pleased me on Sunday night was where 2 Richmond players gave off short distance instant handballs to moving players, getting the ball to a clear running player going in the right direction. I have seen them practising this play in the pre-game warm ups, but this was the first time I have seen it work properly in match conditions. This occured with the Tigers kicking to the right of screen.

RROFO

Recruit
Dec 26, 2007
Edwards is a young bloke who is pushing the boundaries and trying to see what is possible. He makes mistakes and looks terrible at times, but at his stage of development I can forgive that since he actually seems to be learning from those mistakes. Some players never learn, Edwards seems to take notice.

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
RROFO said:
Edwards is a young bloke who is pushing the boundaries and trying to see what is possible. He makes mistakes and looks terrible at times, but at his stage of development I can forgive that since he actually seems to be learning from those mistakes. Some players never learn, Edwards seems to take notice.
There were quite a few players in St Kilda jumpers making basic mistakes and looking terrible at times last night