Shane Edwards

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Men
    Thomson Dow (Bendigo Pioneers) Noah Cumberland (Brisbane Lions Academy)
    Will Martyn (Brisbane Lions Academy) Hugo Ralphsmith (Sandringham Dragons)
    Bigoa Nyuon (Dandenong Stingrays)
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Women
    Sophie Molan (GWV Rebels) Laura McClelland (Eastern Ranges)
    Ella Wood (GMV Rebels) Sarah Sansonetti (Northern Knights)
    Holly Whitford (Melbourne University) Nekaela Butler (GWV Rebels)
    Cleo Saxon-Jones (Western Jets) Laura Bailey (Richmond VFLW)
    Emma Horne (Richmond VFLW) Kate Dempsey (Richmond VFLW)
    Ciara Fitzgerald (Northern Knights) Emily Harley (Oakleigh Chargers)
    Lauren Tesoriero (Richmond VFLW)
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

wadey4

Recruit
Feb 19, 2009
Shane can be our small version of Post. Capable of playing at either end, and in Shanes case even in the middle/off a wing. I agree with the 'locksmith' assessment, I often see him trying to create, to make the play. He and Connors are a bit alike in this regard, and I think that a number of the errors/turnovers these two have is because they're the ones taking a risk, trying to make something happen. I see both as part of a successful Richmond future (assuming Connors kicks the booze/attitude probs).

thebigricho

Site Immortal
Apr 15, 2006
duncan said:
R1, you may know it, but I know what I know, and what I know is that you think you know it, but one day you'll realise you were wrong to know it, and that what I know is what you should have known all along. I hope that's clear.
Arise Sir Humphrey Appleby?

Lazza

Recruit
Oct 3, 2007
I joined this thread a little late you buggars have captured most of my view:
duncan said:
I know he's light in weight, and he makes mistakes, but I still maintain he has real talent.
I agree with this mostly, but his body bulk is quite improved - his core strength is amazing for his size.

Jase30 said:
In relation to poor disposals, this is a common problem with our players, and I do believe that the main issue is that not enough of them work hard enough to get forward of the ball and create options, leaving the player with the ball with very little chance of getting a clean disposal to one of his team mates.
This has been very true over the past few weeks.Quite often our backs have turned into traffic because there is no-one ahead of them - sometimes they should just learn to kick to a 50/50 contest - but to our players advantage i.e. their side of the contest or to a 'hole' that they can run into.

duncan said:
His first half was actually better than you'd probably realise, with not only those key contributions, but several others as well, including smothers, knock-ons, tackles etc.
i thought his first half was hard and excellent. Whilst he is not a first/second yr player and should be more advanced he has improved each game this year. After his first 2 games he could easily have been dropped - but there has been something in every game he has played this year that has been impressive.

Vosstiger said:
I think Shane has a future.

He plays above his size, so I don't worry too much about how small he is.

Time will tell for he has deficiency's but he also has ability. I will watch him this season closely. I think he has this one and the next (more to go in front of him) to prove his place.

If I was putting a percentage on him being in the starting 22 in 2012 65%
Yeh, I'm thinking this way at the moment too.

SouthernStand said:
I have noticed Edwards actually looks very strong and has increased his core strength. This often leads to players having increased confidence. He has taken them on but just looks are sure as he did late last year. Hopefully that comes on soon and he could surprise.
I just said that....... :( It's very noticeable SS - he actually hits the opposition very hard.

I know stats don't necessarily provide a true picture - Edwards disposals per game have increased slowly each year but this year has been a huge increase over his career average, and more importantly a 33% increase over last year and his tackles have increased 100%. That's the sort of improvement we are looking for.

He has obvious talent - just has to prove his worth.

Lisa

Recruit
Aug 29, 2006
wadey4 said:
Capable of playing at either end, and in Shanes case even in the middle/off a wing. I agree with the 'locksmith' assessment, I often see him trying to create, to make the play.
Agree wadey, i actually think the wing is his best position, he is quite good around stoppages, just on the edge of them in particular. He is a surprisingly good mark for his size too.

Edwards on a Wing and Deledio on HBF. I could live with that.*

*off topic but wanted to say - There is no shame in being a HBF that rotates through mid and fwd as the need arises. If it's good enough and effective for Goddard and Hodge, it's good enough for Lids. I am liking this move from Hardwick, I didnt like the Cotchin one, but the Deledio one is working really well so far

Rievolver8

Recruit
Nov 26, 2008
I have been really impressed with Shane's form this year especially whilst playing in the midfield. He has great evasion and a good side step his skills are improving and he is more creative by hand than foot. He also tackles well with 9 last week, he in only in his 4th year of AFL I think he should be allowed more time before we lay the final judgement on him as a player.

Luke n Cogz

Recruit
Nov 26, 2005
Ive said it time and time again... Edwards is a player who will flourish when we are a greater team.

Im not calling him a downhill skier... but when you weight around 80kg (if that) and you have to fight for the ball every 30 secs when the ball is in the back half, you get tired, you get overworked, you become less motivated and it can really detract from performance.

Believe me, Mr. Edwards has undeniable talent and I will never put red texta through his name.

RichardMEL

Site Immortal
May 26, 2005
I think today is a real opportunity for Shane to show what he can offer us as a midfielder. Without Cotch, Tambling & Martin we will be asking guys like Shane, Andrew Collins and yes, Ben Cousins, to stand up and be counted. This is a massive challenge (in more ways than one) and we'll see just how much Shane is prepared to put on the line I think.

duncan

Foundation Member
Aug 6, 2003
I thought Edwards was very good today - excellent in the first half swimming against the tide, and serviceable in the 2nd half.He made his possessions count, being creative and constructive.I'd estimate his efficiency with the ball was as good as anybody, on either side. He did not stuff up, turn the ball over, or do dumb things. He was clean with the ball.

I'd put him in our best 5 players for the day, mainly because he was so constructive with the ball, and free of mistakes.

Jupps

Recruit
Feb 16, 2008
Can anyone give any insight as to how the game plan is actually looking. I get the feeling like our players, our coach has heaps of learning to do aswell.

One of the biggest criticisms of TW was that his game plan was based upon fast, highly skilled movement which didnt match the abilities of the list. I haven't watched the past 2 games but from what I've seen rounds 1-4, the plan appears to be even more complicated for a weaker list.

It's only round 7 this week but the worry is that there hasn't been many signs on-field that DH is on the right track. Would be interesting to find out exactly how Geelong breaks us down so easy from anyone who attended.

Lisa

Recruit
Aug 29, 2006
Yep, one of only a handful who actually played a good game.

duncan

Foundation Member
Aug 6, 2003
If you're interested, here are 9 very good "plays" by Edwards in the first half.
Q1: 14.36 14.32 8.12 6.38
Q2: 19.48 12.30 10.47 8.50 5.49

When the team was getting slaughtered, everything he did was constructive and valuable. See for yourself.

arwon32

Recruit
Feb 16, 2007
Is it coincidence that Shane's best 2 games have been against Geelong? Yesterday and the other one was when he got the sling tackle from Milburn & got knocked out a couple of years ago. Good on him!

Let's hope he turns out to be OK - however for those that are blindly supporting him, please don't use this game as a launch pad like others have with Jake King a la round 1, 3 years ago. It will take more than 1 game to convince me of his worth on the list.

aussieg

Rookie
Feb 7, 2004
one of the few players who can actually win the ball (compare to farmer who rarely wins the ball when it is in dispute or makes position to be where the ball is) not just receive. With more support to quickly give move and receive again will be even better.

Anduril

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Site Immortal
Jul 25, 2007
Shane was great but I thought he faded out a bit in the second half.

duncan

Foundation Member
Aug 6, 2003
arwon32 said:
Let's hope he turns out to be OK - however for those that are blindly supporting him, please don't use this game as a launch pad like others have with Jake King a la round 1, 3 years ago. It will take more than 1 game to convince me of his worth on the list.
I co-advocate Edwards, so obviously I try to support him. However to accuse me (seeing I started the thread, and have been central to it), along with others, of being blind in my support is in my opinion offensive.

I have mentioned some of his weaker areas, and I have given multiple and specific examples of his good play over 2 rounds. That is not "blind" support, that is simply advocating or supporting in a rational way. If I were to not use examples that you could check (I even give you the exact times in the match), and if I was to merely use superlatives without conceding any problem areas, and if I was to say he was fantastic all game instead of saying which part of the game he played well in, then you might have a "titch" of a legitimate claim to saying my support was blind. As it is, you ar won kilometre short of a sound claim.

Lazza

Recruit
Oct 3, 2007
arwon32 said:
Is it coincidence that Shane's best 2 games have been against Geelong? Yesterday and the other one was when he got the sling tackle from Milburn & got knocked out a couple of years ago. Good on him!

To Duncan's point - This is not just one game - In 2007 he won our Rising Star award and in 2008 he demonstrated his ability quite often and played some very good games. Last year he lost some of his touch and was also playing a new role in defence - it could be argued his size last year did not fit his role. This year he is noticably bigger and more assured of his role. He is also prepared to take on the opposition - head on if he has to.

There is no doubt he has improved each game so far this year, mind you his first two were below par from a skill perspective, but he is heading in the right direction. I highlighted the above, because I believe his endeavour has been excellent.

He probably looks at Geelong and says to himself "I could replace Varcoe and Stokes or Byrnes". Maybe he plays his best cos there might be a chance he could end up there........ fish>o

p.s who were those silly people touting King????

arwon32

Recruit
Feb 16, 2007
Please don't be offended Dunc I wasn't haing a crack at you. I can't see anywhere that you coadvocate Shane. However the fact that you watch the game then afterwards replay the game and make notations showing the time and which quarter on his good plays in the first half I find concerning. Maybe some therapy is required here (tongue in cheek Dunc). Would have liked to see the same notations after the Sydney & Melbourne games from you..... Maybe some well earned therapy should be undertaken by all tiger supporters to get us through the year!

HKTiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Mar 19, 2004
Arwon,

Funny you mention the Swans game. On this forum Dan J. has balanced support. On other forums he is one of (many) scapegoats. In the Swans game DJ was the guy who locked the ball in a contest so many times and he got from contest to contest. And he was physically throwing himself at the contest to lock it down. No wonder he missed the Freo game, he would have been so sore after the Swans game and would not have been able to come up.

I know I'm off topic, but I believe that we should be discussing broader concepts of:
- perception vs reality, and
- real workrate.

And I don't want to start 20+ threads. Given Farmer, Snake, Luke, Shane T, Mitch, Jack etc are all coming up for discussion.

Mel Mel

Recruit
Sep 3, 2008
Lazza said:
p.s who were those silly people touting King????
Funny you mention this because I actually watched this game on Saturday night (I was rummaging through some old tapes and figured I'd rather watch a Richmond win than an Essendon vs Hawthorn match! :))

Jake King was a total gun in that game** - very speedy, great evasive skills, looked a lot more confident and a made minimal skill errors. Michael Voss and Robert Walls were absolutely gushing over him. His confidence was the one thing that really stood out - didn't hesitate to take the game on - but I don't feel like he has that today and its reflected in his game. I have a good mind to mail him the bloody tape with a note saying "Look how bloody good you can be!" :D

** Note: I don't think this match was a one-off, he played several good matches in the latter half of last year (eg. vs Melbourne, Sydney)

Anyway, to keep this back on topic, I'll throw in my two bob's worth about Shane Edwards. I like him and can't believe this talk about him being a possible delisting. Yes he's small, but he's adding bulk with each season. I think he's too short to be playing so deep in defence - I think his best use is up around HB and midfield. I was happy with his efforts yesterday on a day where there weren't many stars for the Tigers.