Shane Edwards

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Men
    Thomson Dow (Bendigo Pioneers) Noah Cumberland (Brisbane Lions Academy)
    Will Martyn (Brisbane Lions Academy) Hugo Ralphsmith (Sandringham Dragons)
    Bigoa Nyuon (Dandenong Stingrays)
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Women
    Sophie Molan (GWV Rebels) Laura McClelland (Eastern Ranges)
    Ella Wood (GMV Rebels) Sarah Sansonetti (Northern Knights)
    Holly Whitford (Melbourne University) Nekaela Butler (GWV Rebels)
    Cleo Saxon-Jones (Western Jets) Laura Bailey (Richmond VFLW)
    Emma Horne (Richmond VFLW) Kate Dempsey (Richmond VFLW)
    Ciara Fitzgerald (Northern Knights) Emily Harley (Oakleigh Chargers)
    Lauren Tesoriero (Richmond VFLW)
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

duncan

Foundation Member
Aug 6, 2003
Okay, I'll start this post by saying I co-advocate Shane on this site.

A lot of people are ready to write this guy off. There are red texta's hanging over his head, and a host of other implements ready to terminate him from our list. I think those people are being way too premature.

I know he's light in weight, and he makes mistakes, but I still maintain he has real talent. I could go through stats to back up my claim, but instead I will leave you with some homework.

I want you to watch him closely and see how many times he starts an attacking move with a clever bit of play.After this one bit of play, usually through a sidestep and a snappy,forward-facing, well-timed, and well executed handball, the side will then stream forward in a team-based attacking move. I could call him "the locksmith", because things can appear to be congested and "locked in" in the backline, and he will unlock it.

He does need to improve, but I think some of his best work can go unnoticed. So please, do your homework, and watch him "unlock".

Shane Edwards = The Locksmith.:)

Big Punt

Recruit
Jul 26, 2007
I will do Dunc. But may I suggest we also see how many times he turns the ball over though a poor decision or act.

Not saying this to be negative, but to make it a balanced exercise.

duncan

Foundation Member
Aug 6, 2003
Big Punt said:
I will do Dunc. But may I suggest we also see how many times he turns the ball over though a poor decision or act.

Not saying this to be negative, but to make it a balanced exercise.
Hey, who's setting this homework?:D

Fair enough. I'm all for balance. He does make more poor decisions and acts than he should.

Lisa

Recruit
Aug 29, 2006
I notice both, do i get a pass mark? :D

The spoon and I actually made comment on Sunday night about him after he set up an awesome piece of play. He has it in him for sure. Like everyone he has stuff he needs to work on though.

Jase30

Recruit
Nov 30, 2008
Shane plays his best footy when he runs off half back, moving the ball forward and then keeps running to receive the ball back.

I explain to my boys basketball team that they should always work to be in front of the ball, both offensively and defensively. When Shane does this, he looks dangerous.

He looked very good towards the end of last year, but hasn't shown as much so far this year. He will though.

In relation to poor disposals, this is a common problem with our players, and I do believe that the main issue is that not enough of them work hard enough to get forward of the ball and create options, leaving the player with the ball with very little chance of getting a clean disposal to one of his team mates.

Anduril

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Site Immortal
Jul 25, 2007
Love Shane's work, but it seems to me his best work was when his hair was longer.

Wads

Recruit
Feb 2, 2005
Does he gets noticed because he:
a) gets heaps of the ball and coughs it up occasionally, or
b) doesn't get the ball much and coughs it up when he gets it?

I thought he made a good start to the year but against the Dees I hear his name frequently turning the ball over

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
He's averaging 80pts per game in supercoach. Better than most of the team.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
I like him. Is the "locksmith" locked in as a running defender though? The odd burst up forward snapping goals would be exciting too - he should/could have bagged a nice goal against the run of play in 2nd quarter against Freo. Little cameos up forward can increase your value to the team if you are struggling down back, and vice versa.

Gimme

Recruit
Sep 27, 2007
Jase30 said:
. . . .

In relation to poor disposals, this is a common problem with our players, and I do believe that the main issue is that not enough of them work hard enough to get forward of the ball and create options, leaving the player with the ball with very little chance of getting a clean disposal to one of his team mates.
I realise this is an Edwards' thread but what Jase has pointed out is a common problem not just to Shane.

I'm sure that if/or when we begin playing better footy we will see an improvement in this side of things.

I've been critical for some time (pre-DH) about our many cock-ups when we're bringing the ball back in and I'm sure it's part of the same problem - not enough players creating options for the kicker.

I do think Shane is capable of much better results.

RichardMEL

Site Immortal
May 26, 2005
I actually like what Edwards offers, but I feel he's still inconsistent. There are games where he's looked at home in the backline and provided good run out of there, then the next game he'll be shocking(perhaps of specific attention?) but deliver when he wanders forward, and you think "gee, this guy should be playing an attacking role" - clearly he's got a few strings to his bow (or is that keys to his keychain?) which gives us more options to use him, but I think he is let down by inconsistent performances - you don't know which Shane you'll get on any particular day.

Really this is an issue for all younger players not just Shane. I think it's a good thing that he's becoming more multi-skilled which will give us options going forward.

Just wait till TG27 sees this thread..... :D

thebigricho

Site Immortal
Apr 15, 2006
I like him and I reckon he is a keeper.

Mind you I still haven't forgiven him for getting 93 on the bench in my supercoach team last week when I lost by 40.

duncan

Foundation Member
Aug 6, 2003
The main point of my post is that he gets a lot of snappy, forward handballs out to a team-mate, who then doesn't break stride and starts a significant forward thrust - Edwards is the instigator of the quick forward move.

There have been a number of classic examples of what I'm talking about this year, but obviously I can't direct you to them off the top of my head. I had re-watched the first half of sunday's match yesterday, and I noted his actions. The best example of "unlocking" or "releasing" in that half was with 12.20 mins to go in the 2nd qtr, but other semi-examples were with 9.40 and 7.11 to go in the 1st qtr, and 18.11 to go in the 2nd qtr. You'd need a videotape, and some spare time, to check those out. Sorry.

His first half was actually better than you'd probably realise, with not only those key contributions, but several others as well, including smothers, knock-ons, tackles etc.

Lisa

Recruit
Aug 29, 2006
Whats this VCR thing you speak of? [:eek:)] i just had a look on my dvd hard drive at the bits you are talking about and yep, some excellent low, flat, hard handballs forward and to the players advantage.

He actually played really well in the first half. Cotchin played better in the first qtr and half that i previously realised too.

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
I think Shane has a future.

He plays above his size, so I don't worry too much about how small he is.

Time will tell for he has deficiency's but he also has ability. I will watch him this season closely. I think he has this one and the next (more to go in front of him) to prove his place.

If I was putting a percentage on him being in the starting 22 in 2012 65%

Willy

Recruit
May 9, 2007
Im less optimistic about Shane than most of you by the sound of things. He's been around for a while now, needs to sharpen up his disposal and awareness quick sticks.

Egg

Listed Player
Apr 27, 2010
Willy said:
Im less optimistic about Shane than most of you by the sound of things. He's been around for a while now, needs to sharpen up his disposal and awareness quick sticks.
Yes, but if he is going to do it, this is the time and this is the team.

tiger.girl.27

Recruit
May 1, 2009
I have faith in my future husband. However if he fails to perform well he might lose his wife...who am I kidding? The only reason I wouldn't marry him is if he played for collingwood, carlton or port.

SouthernStand

Recruit
Jul 21, 2005
I have noticed Edwards actually looks very strong and has increased his core strength. This often leads to players having increased confidence. He has taken them on but just looks are sure as he did late last year. Hopefully that comes on soon and he could surprise.

Mel Mel

Recruit
Sep 3, 2008
I'd be stunned if he was cut from the list at the end of the year!

Yeah he's got to work on but he's got a lot of upside too. I like him :)

knights33

Recruit
May 16, 2008
thought he was really good at freo hits the packs alot harder and you can notice that he has put size on.will only get better,and seeing as he as been in the system for a little while now expect him to get better rather quickly.

arwon32

Recruit
Feb 16, 2007
Said it before on other threads & will continue to say it. Unfortunately I've seen enough of Tich now to know that we need to cut our losses. another person said they see him as a 9 year player.... we are in big trouble if that is the case..... oh yeah 0-5 I think we are in deep big trouble already!

duncan

Foundation Member
Aug 6, 2003
arwon32 said:
Said it before on other threads & will continue to say it. Unfortunately I've seen enough of Tich now to know that we need to cut our losses.
R1, you may know it, but I know what I know, and what I know is that you think you know it, but one day you'll realise you were wrong to know it, and that what I know is what you should have known all along. I hope that's clear.

TigerAdam

Recruit
Feb 19, 2006
I just about had his name ruled out of the side (permanently) after round 4.

He played ok against Freo.

Still much work to be done.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
duncan said:
R1, you may know it, but I know what I know, and what I know is that you think you know it, but one day you'll realise you were wrong to know it, and that what I know is what you should have known all along. I hope that's clear.
Crystal :D