Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New version of forum software coming soon
Jelsoft (the makers of vBulletin - the software that is used for this forum) has released vBulletin 3.7.0 Beta 4. While I won't install this until the software goes 'Gold' (i.e. production release) I thought I'd touch on some of the new functionality that will be available. Please note though that I may not release all the new features at once - if at all.

Some of the planned changes will be transparent to Members and will impact the Coaching Panel only. However, there is plenty here to ensure that I'll stick with vBulletin as our Forum software for some time to come!
  • Inline Spam Management and Prevention Tools
    Forum spam is an increasing problem for many boards. Unfortunately, due to the visible-source nature of vBulletin and most other forum systems, most preventative measures we might add to the system can simply be reverse-engineered and worked around by persistent spammers.

Therefore, 3.7 contains a new set of tools to help clean up spam and deal with spammers.

Threads and posts can be selected in the usual inline moderation fashion, and then the new 'Delete Threads/Posts as Spam' command can be selected, which will load the spam management interface, which contains options on a single page for removing the spam posts and threads, banning the spammers and finding other spam they may have posted.
  • Thread Tagging
    A new way to facilitate searching and grouping of threads, it is now possible for users to add tags to threads they post or read.
  • Thread Prefixes
    Long requested by users, threads can now have administrator-defined prefixes to their titles.
  • Reciprocal Friendships Between Users
    As part of our new social networking system, users can now request that people on their buddy list confirm their friendship, after which time a person's list of confirmed friends will be viewable to other users.
  • Public Messaging
    While private messages between users have been in vBulletin since version 2.0, vBulletin 3.7 introduces the public messaging system, allowing users to communicate publicly via their profile pages.
  • User Picture Galleries
    vBulletin users can now create albums and upload pictures to their account.
  • User-Created Social Groups
    To further social cohesion between users and to encourage people to make friends, vBulletin now includes a facility to allow users to create their own social/interest groups.
  • New Member Profile Page
    In order to accomodate all the new features in vBulletin 3.7, the member profile page has been completely redesigned from the ground up.

The new page presents information in a far cleaner and more logical manner, while dividing up information into manageable chunks using a tabbed interface.

Individual profile field categories can be displayed alone in blocks in the right column, in addition to appearing by default in the 'About Me' tab.
  • Member Customization of Profile Page
    The administrator may choose to allow his members to use the profile page customization tool, which allows users to alter fonts, colors, background and borders etc. of their profile page in order to create a more personalized look.
  • Inline Editing of Profile Field Values
    The 'About Me' tab of each member's profile page has edit controls, allowing them to quickly change values without leaving their profile page.
  • Attachment Viewing Lightbox
    Clicking on an attached image will now open a lightbox rather than open a new window, with the image scaled to fit the browser viewport. A click on the image in the lightbox will open it in a new window as before.
  • Post Edit History
    For boards where the history of posts is important, it is now possible to log all edits to posts and then review the changes at a later date.
  • Inline Moderation Enhanced Authentication
    When performing inline moderation actions, board staff will now be required to re-authenticate themselves if they have not done so in their browsing session.

This prevents the possibility of unauthorized parties acting as a moderator on a public computer where a board staff member has accidentally ticked the 'remember me' box.
  • Navbar Notices
    Administrators can now set up custom notifications that will appear underneath the navbar when visiting users fulfil specified criteria.

For example, one may want to set up a notice to display when a user is a member of a particular usergroup, or to show a congratulatory message when a user has posted their 1,000th post etc.
  • New Human Verification Systems
    In addition to the image verification system available in previous versions of vBulletin, 3.7 introduces the means for the administrator to choose the verification system employed on their board.
  • User Change History
    In order to track changes made to users' profiles by administrators, a change log is now kept for various user profile fields including username, usergroup etc.
  • Social Bookmarking of Threads
    Administrators can now define a list of their favorite social bookmarking sites and have them available for use on the showthread page for bookmarking threads.

There are plenty more new features in vBulletin 3.7.

Here is a brief list of some of the ones we haven't yet touched on:
  • Visitor tracking on profile pages
  • Automatic resizing of attached images to match filesize or pixel dimensions
  • Enhancements to custom bbcode system
  • Custom icons per forum
  • Advertisement locations defined in templates
  • Add multiple moderators in one go through ACP
  • ATOM support for RSS Poster Robot
  • Hooks to allow attachments to be passed through a virus scanner
  • Posts by users in 'Tachy Goes to Coventry' will no longer count towards the total number of posts in a thread or forum. They are now truly hidden!
  • All AJAX systems now employ the Yahoo! User Interface Library (YUI) for a more consistent and predictable system
  • YUI files can now be switched from locally hosted to remotely hosted by Yahoo! with a single option change, saving you bandwidth
Full details (including screenshots of some of the new innovations) can be found at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...460&page=2

At this stage I haven't made a decision about the Portal however, the current software used on the site - vBAdvanced - has release a new version which makes use of the new features in vBulletin 3.7.0.

At this stage, I don't have an installation date planned. I will decide this once the Gold version of 3.7.0 has been released.
Cheers!

Please don’t PM me with help issues as I won’t respond. Use the Help & Suggestions Forum.
2018 - Fighting Tiger Fund Patron
2018 - Official Richmond Cheer Squad Member
Downloaded a nullified version to test out for my art group the other day - there's very few bugs and I read somewhere the gold release comes out within the next month.

It's truly kick ass - hey, a lot of unneccessary features but such is the wonderful world of forums. It'll be fun to have all the new member profile pages and stuff - I tested it out but only with 10 members so it wasn't exactly fully active.

The best part of it all is the AdminCP improvements.

I'm not sure if the social networking stuff they've included will be used here or not. I'll probably activate it and see how it goes.

Other things they've included like the Keyword tagging on posts is great. You may recall that I installed a hack to that very same thing awhile ago but got rid of it because it caused some conflicts with the code. This new one will be good because it's fully integrated and supported by vBulletin.

The other thing I'm looking forward to is the Member image galleries. This will probably allow me to do away with the other plugin (Links & Downloads Manager) and will be much simpler for people to work with.
Cheers!

Please don’t PM me with help issues as I won’t respond. Use the Help & Suggestions Forum.
Social networking = bandwidth muncher Smile

dalla Wrote:Social networking = bandwidth muncher Smile
= more popular website?
Cheers!

This is true.

Though... do we really want more dalla's? :p

dalla Wrote:This is true.

Though... do we really want more dalla's? :p

Theres only so much pink hair one can take!!
Dustin Martin + Don't Argue = You on your Arse
Welcome the dawning of the age of.... Y&BOOK!

Looks good Ned, even if a lot of the features are specific to admin/moderation tasks that don't affect general plebs like me.
Paid up 2019 Member.
And again I have no idea. Some intergalactic language obviously.
[size="3"][color="yellow"]Grandad Tiger's main man for 2008 is: Kayne Pettifer.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/color][/size]
[size="3"] [/size]
[size="3"][color="#ffff00"]Richo 09......Me Too.[/color][/size]
I see... Intergalactic languages and more Dallas... What's going on here? Someone close this thread!! :eek:

Social networking, I like... I like. Big Grin

eBay now have social networking features like putting up your picture and what not.

These changes are very much welcomed!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coming Soon - Y & B Makeover Ned 55 3,442 10-12-2017, 11:55
Last Post: Vines
  Footy Tipping software Ned 7 918 26-08-2016, 15:48
Last Post: Jools
  Forum Software Update Ned 26 5,718 10-02-2016, 12:19
Last Post: Jools
  Site Software update Ned 53 7,201 04-04-2015, 20:40
Last Post: believe!
  Site Software Update Ned 169 11,478 10-12-2013, 16:42