Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reposting of Sportal Content
HKTiger Wrote:Could we sort of preface any news from those guys as:

"The tossers at Sportal reckon ....."

The get the accreditation that they deserve in that case.
I received this as part of a larger e-mail from Ashley:

Ashley Browne Wrote:Finally, you should also remind your users that Richmond gets money from Telstra and the AFL for every page impression it generates on its site. By publishing our stuff on your site and not diverting users to the Richmond official site to view the content, you are robbing the club of potential $$$.
I think the answer lies there.
Cheers!

Please don’t PM me with help issues as I won’t respond. Use the Help & Suggestions Forum.
2018 - Fighting Tiger Fund Patron
2018 - Official Richmond Cheer Squad Member
Ned, you may have to send everyone a PM about this as well. I imagine there'd be a lot of people who would just see the thread headline and not bother reading it (I almost did) or maybe, like Eatsie, they're away at the moment and are totally unaware.

You'd also want to find a way to let new members know - I imagine most new members would vaguely skim site rules and just treat the site like any other site and post news articles at will. Maybe make it a prominent part of the introductory/welcome PM.

It's pretty farcical. This site provides fair and complete accreditation of published work via a link. You can't ask for more than that. What if I was to use a sportal article in an assignment for uni? Would I only be allowed to quote the first paragraph?
Ned Wrote:I received this as part of a larger e-mail from Ashley:
ashley brown Wrote:Finally, you should also remind your users that Richmond gets money from Telstra and the AFL for every page impression it generates on its site. By publishing our stuff on your site and not diverting users to the Richmond official site to view the content, you are robbing the club of potential $$$.

I think the answer lies there.

Then why does he care? If they were worried about it, wouldn't it be Richmond FC trying to sue you? They've known about Y&B for years - hell, they get free editorials from Chris as a representative of this site as it stands.

Sportal must get $$$ too.
Obelix Wrote:What if I was to use a sportal article in an assignment for uni? Would I only be allowed to quote the first paragraph?
With heavy use of the word "sic" to cover the spelling & grammatical errors! [Wink]
[COLOR=rgb(255, 215, 0)]Advocate for Shane Edwards
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(255, 215, 0)]Guardian of the Shane Tuck Eternal Flame
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(255, 215, 0)]Do not scorn a weak cub - he may become the brutal tiger [/COLOR]... Mongolian proverb
Exactly right Ob - this claim is merely cheap bribery. Its Richmond that should be concerned if there's an issue, and Richmond that would be chasing us if they were concerned.

That its the dimwits at Sportal doing it suggests that it is they who are worried about potential losses of income in this issue.

Anyway, we all visit the RFC site lots anyway each day - an extra click a day linking from a Sportal story ain't going to add greatly to that - we'd visit the RFC site anyway, no matter what Sportal's "rules" are.

Ashley Browne Wrote:Finally, you should also remind your users that Richmond gets money from Telstra and the AFL for every page impression it generates on its site. By publishing our stuff on your site and not diverting users to the Richmond official site to view the content, you are robbing the club of potential $$$.

Note Ashley says "our stuff". Obviously Ashley is of the opinion that Sportal own the news now. Not even Rupert and his minions would sugest this.
Husband and father
Supporter of Richmond
Drinker of coffee
Writer of articles
Handler of cacti
Player of Xbox360
Also Ob - I'd think using Sportal stuff in a uni assignment would fall into the same problems as using it here.

Research usage is covered under the fair use provisions I listed in an earlier post in the same way news reporting is. But given we're getting in trouble for the "news reporting" side of things, the same would apply for using Sportal stuff as "research" for academia.
Husband and father
Supporter of Richmond
Drinker of coffee
Writer of articles
Handler of cacti
Player of Xbox360
Obelix Wrote:Ned, you may have to send everyone a PM about this as well. I imagine there'd be a lot of people who would just see the thread headline and not bother reading it (I almost did) or maybe, like Eatsie, they're away at the moment and are totally unaware.

You'd also want to find a way to let new members know - I imagine most new members would vaguely skim site rules and just treat the site like any other site and post news articles at will. Maybe make it a prominent part of the introductory/welcome PM.

It's pretty farcical. This site provides fair and complete accreditation of published work via a link. You can't ask for more than that. What if I was to use a sportal article in an assignment for uni? Would I only be allowed to quote the first paragraph?
Rather than a PM, I'll do it via e-mail later today or over the weekend.

This restriction will also be placed in the Site Rules. Thankfully, we have some latitude so we're given time to edit any offending post if someone posts inadvertantly.

I agree with you however, there's nothing I can do about it Sad
Cheers!

Please don’t PM me with help issues as I won’t respond. Use the Help & Suggestions Forum.
2018 - Fighting Tiger Fund Patron
2018 - Official Richmond Cheer Squad Member
Until today, I have been a subscriber of "SPORTAL BACKPAGER", their daily e-mail service.

I have now unsubscribed & urge all Y&B members to do the same for this or any other "service" that Sportal provide.

Also, make sure you let Ashley Browne know that you have done this & WHY!!! I will be telling him that I have also removed Sportal from my "Favourites", will be boycotting their sponsors & will also be e-mailing those sponsors (& Sportal's "syndication partners") to advise why I have taken this action! PLEASE NOTE: You should only contact Ashley Browne as an individual, not as a "representative" or member of this site!

Peter - can you encourage some concerted action along these lines through the AFL WebRing?

If this is all about money, let's make their bottom line look even worse! [rage]
[COLOR=rgb(255, 215, 0)]Advocate for Shane Edwards
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(255, 215, 0)]Guardian of the Shane Tuck Eternal Flame
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(255, 215, 0)]Do not scorn a weak cub - he may become the brutal tiger [/COLOR]... Mongolian proverb
chris88 Wrote:Also Ob - I'd think using Sportal stuff in a uni assignment would fall into the same problems as using it here.

Research usage is covered under the fair use provisions I listed in an earlier post in the same way news reporting is. But given we're getting in trouble for the "news reporting" side of things, the same would apply for using Sportal stuff as "research" for academia.

That's the thing. Most academic assignments would involve the quoting of a variety of publications whether they be every-day news providers or industry specific publications. That's why the nit-picky nature of this guy's attempt to monitor exactly "how" we accredit his work should be subject to ridicule. It's totally motivated by $$$.
seenitall Wrote:Until today, I have been a subscriber of "SPORTAL BACKPAGER", their daily e-mail service.

I have now unsubscribed & urge all Y&B members to do the same for this or any other "service" that Sportal provide.

Also, make sure you let Ashley Browne know that you have done this & WHY!!! I will be telling him that I have also removed Sportal from my "Favourites", will be boycotting their sponsors & will also be e-mailing those sponsors (& Sportal's "syndication partners") to advise why I have taken this action! PLEASE NOTE: You should only contact Ashley Browne as an individual, not as a "representative" or member of this site!

Peter - can you encourage some concerted action along these lines through the AFL WebRing?

If this is all about money, let's make their bottom line look even worse! [rage]

Well done SIA - and very very good point re us taking this action as individuals, not reps or members of the site.

Sportal will be getting removed from my favourites as well, and any further mentions or references to them in the course of my journo work will, in legalese, "cease and desist" from here on in.
Husband and father
Supporter of Richmond
Drinker of coffee
Writer of articles
Handler of cacti
Player of Xbox360