Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Match Review JLT 1 v Melbourne
Like many of you, I tuned in to watch this match on Sunday. My expectations were not necessarily to see another Tiger victory (although that’s always nice), but to see some of the new and some of the fringe players perform. I thought that established players such as Dusty, Cotch, Rance, Jack, and few others would run around and blow out some of the cobwebs. What I got was so much more!

We did win well enough although bad kicking on our behalf kept it close and apart from a knee injury scare from Dusty, we managed to finish the game without any major injuries. A glance of the stats show that there wasn’t much tackling from either team going on – a typical preseason game where no team wants too many contact injuries.

Of the established players, I thought that Rioli, Houli, and Nankervis were the standouts. Rioli’s touch and footy nous was a delight to watch. His return of 15 disposals (10 contested) was enjoyable to watch. Nank looked good up forward, but make no mistake – he will be our first ruckman come Round 1. Houli looks primed to have a very good year. The search is on for our relief ruckman given that our “Premiership Ruckman” Shaun Grigg will be out for a few more weeks through injury. Even when he returns, I believe that the rule change where a ruckman doesn’t risk giving away a holding the ball free if they grab the ball from the ruck contest, will make life difficult for Grigg. The opposition taller ruckman could play “keepings off” with Grigg until they can release the ball to their team’s advantage or force a ball up.

Newbies
Jack Ross, Maverick Weller, Liam Baker, and of course, Noah Balta all put their hand up for a spot in the Round 1 team. Weller for me, gets a start if Caddy is injured. Weller 182cm/85kg and Caddy slightly taller and heavier at 186cm/88kg compare nicely for a forward/mid slot. Dan Butler wasn’t very effective (4 clangers from his 9 disposals), but does tend to have a bad game when his “bestie” Castagna isn’t playing. To me, it’s Butler v Baker for a small forward spot with Baker ahead after JLT 1. Jack Ross will have to rely on a midfield slot becoming available so may miss out in Round 1 however, a good JLT 2 may see him gain a spot in the 22 to help with rotations.

Balta
Everyone it seems has got Balta as a certain starter for a Round 1 against Carlton. I have pencilled him in, not necessarily as a replacement for Grigg who if available, would be underdone but as a floater between the arcs and as a relief ruck when Nank needs a rest. It’s obvious to me that Lynch won’t be doing any ruckwork – his knees certainly don’t need the kind of contact that this would invite! Playing Balta in a 3-man forward line with Lynch and Jack has the tendancy to make us a little too top-heavy.

Looking Forward
With the new 6-6-6 formation at centre bounces now forces a change of tactics. Having someone like Balta able to help out down back or to run forward and become dangerous gives some flexibility in our setup. Balta is quick, so should be able to make position either way to be the extra man in defence or attack. He would also provide another target when we bring the ball out of defence. Imagine Shorty running the ball out of defence looking up and seeing 3 options now: Lynch, Jack, and Balta presenting upfield for him!

Original Article: https://tigers.aussierules.online/2019/0...melbourne/
Cheers!

Please don’t PM me with help issues as I won’t respond. Use the Help & Suggestions Forum.
2018 - Fighting Tiger Fund Patron
2018 - Official Richmond Cheer Squad Member
Love this from Dylan https://www.instagram.com/p/BunzMaWA52G/...o4k2zfh429
Cheers!

Please don’t PM me with help issues as I won’t respond. Use the Help & Suggestions Forum.
2018 - Fighting Tiger Fund Patron
2018 - Official Richmond Cheer Squad Member
Ned when it comes to the term top heavy I picture Nank, Soldo and Hampson in the forward line.

Jack is the slowest mover of the three but he makes up for that with his Mensa Football Smarts. Lynch looks like a decent mobile runner and Balta has speed and flexibility.

Don't think we lose much in playing all three together in the forward line in regards to pressure but we treble the attacking impact and make the opposition defence much more accountable.
2017 Advocate for the Rising Star Jack Graham
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. Ronald Dahl 1978
(07-03-2019, 14:34)Gracie Wrote: make the opposition defence much more accountable.

I actually like the idea that we could have two different forward lines. A tall one against some clubs, a shorter one against others. We may be able to go very tall to stretch opposition defences on occasion.
West Coast monstered us with their bigs in the forward line, and everyone thinks our defence is the best in the league. Collingwood didn't really "monster" us in the prelim, but tactically, they structured up well against us and played to their strengths and exploited our weaknesses.

I like the idea of a big Tiger forward line. We still have the class of Rioli, Higgins, Martin, Edwards, Lambert, Cotchin to go through there.
Jack is a good mark. Lynch appears to be even better and Balta looks to be a strong mark.

Speedy crumbers become less important if your talls are marking everything that comes into the forward 50
2017 Advocate for the Rising Star Jack Graham
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. Ronald Dahl 1978
I think we will end up with 3 talls and 3 smalls with the smalls also running the length of the field
Sponsor of Daniel Butler 2015-17
2005-2014 Sponsor of Daniel Jackson

Member of Yellow and Black the greatest of all Football Sites.Cool

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JLT 2 v Hawks at UTAS Stadium Vines 8 177 14-03-2019, 17:41
Last Post: Vosstiger
  JLT Preseason 2019 Preview Ned 9 228 05-03-2019, 13:35
Last Post: Gracie
  JLT rort Vines 6 258 23-02-2019, 22:02
Last Post: Bones
  JLT Community Series fixture announced Ned 0 130 26-10-2017, 12:53