Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming Soon - Y & B Makeover
Lots of stuff happening in the background now.

The final trial migration to the new software is due to be completed in the next couple of days. Estimates are that it'll take around 18 hours, so I'm now going to close the site next Sunday night (10 December) at around 10:00pm.

The site will still be accessible in read only mode which means that you can continue to read posts, but you cannot add any new posts.

All going well, the new site will be back up and running on Tuesday. I realise that this is more than 18 hours, but I have lots of configuration to do prior to opening the site.

I'll continue to post updates here and on Twitter once the site becomes read only.
Cheers!

Please don’t PM me with help issues as I won’t respond. Use the Help & Suggestions Forum.
2018 - Fighting Tiger Fund Patron
2018 - Official Richmond Cheer Squad Member
I think that everything is now stable on the new webserver (Amazon Web Services Lightsail Smile ) for Wordpress. The Discourse forum is being hosted on a different web host - Digital Ocean. This won't cause any issues as most people will only need to login to the Forum. Only those people contributing articles will require a login to Wordpress which will link to their Forum account.

As mentioned earlier, any Articles published will create a new thread in the Forum so members can reply. Your replied will show on both the Forum and the Article.
Cheers!

Please don’t PM me with help issues as I won’t respond. Use the Help & Suggestions Forum.
Will there be a new link to the site once the new web host is ready?
If so where will we find it?
No.8 Dick Clay 213g(1966-76), Michael Roach 200g 607goals(1977-89), Alan Geddes 182g 1925-43), Robert Carew 45g(1919-22), Jack Riewoldt 225*g 537*goals(2007-)
Crusher, post: 1506760, member: 5563 Wrote:Will there be a new link to the site once the new web host is ready?
If so where will we find it?
I'll post it in the announcement at the top of the site and on Twitter Smile

I'll also put in a redirect so if you go this URL, you'll be automatically forwarded to the new (temporary) URL.
Cheers!

I thought that I should give you all an update on how the different Membership levels of the new forum software will work. It is a little different to what you’ve experienced here in the past, but has benefits for regulars of the site. From day 1, everyone starts at the same level until you build up your activity and likes. For most regulars, you’ll be able to do most things within a day or so and for some advanced features it may take a couple of weeks. Hang in there, I hope that you’ll see the benefits.

The Discourse forum uses what it calls "Trust Levels" which are labelled Trust Level 0, Trust Level 1, ....... right up to Trust Level 4. Unfortunately, these cannot be renamed as yet but it is on the roadmap for future releases. Newly registered members (which will initially be everyone) progress from Trust Level 0 to Trust Level 1 using any or all of the following default criteria:

TRUST LEVEL 0
  • Enter 5 topics
  • Read 30 posts
  • Spend 10 minutes reading posts
The idea behind this is that for newly registered members, would deter spammers and some troublemakers.

Users at trust level 0 cannot
  • Send private messages to other users
  • “Reply as new topic” via Link button (UI removed)
  • Flag posts
  • Post more than 1 image
  • Post any attachments
  • Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
  • Have actual links in the ‘about me’ field of their profile (will be silently and temporarily converted to plain text)
  • Mention more than 2 users in a post

TRUST LEVEL 1
Once you make it to Trust Level 1, you will be able to create a new topic, edit posts, and send messages. The default requirements for promotion to Trust Level 2 consists of:
  • Enter 20 topics
  • Read 100 posts
  • Spend 60 minutes reading posts
  • Visit the site for 15 days (not consecutive)
  • Receive 1 like
  • Give 1 like
  • Reply to 3 topics
Users at trust level 1 can
  • use all core Discourse functions
    • Upload images and attachments if enabled
    • Edit wiki posts
    • Flag posts
  • have all new user restrictions removed

TRUST LEVEL 2

Users at trust level 2 can
  • Use the “Invite others to this topic” button for one-click onboarding of new users to participate in topics. I have set new Invited users to start at Trust Level 1
  • Invite outside users to PMs making a group PM
  • Daily like limit increased by 1.5 ×

TRUST LEVEL 3

Trust Level 3 are the most active readers and reliable contributors over long periods of time.

You can get to trust level 3 by…

This is time and activity based, unlike the previous levels. This means that if you don’t keep up your activity, you will be put back to Trust Level 2 until you qualify again for Promotion.

In the last 100 days…
  • must have visited at least 50% of days
  • must have replied to at least 10 different topics
  • of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)
  • of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)
  • must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
  • must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
  • must not have been suspended
* These likes must be across a minimum number of different users (1/5 the number), across a minimum number of different days (1/4 the number). Likes cannot be from PMs.

All of these must be true.

Unlike other trust levels, you can lose trust level 3 status. If you dip below these requirements, whether from flagging or the passage of time, you will be demoted to Trust Level 2. However, in order to avoid constant promotion/demotion situations, there is a 2-week grace period immediately after gaining Trust Level 3 during which you will not be demoted.

Users at trust level 3 can
  • recategorise and rename topics
  • access a private “frequent flier’s lounge” category only visible to users at trust level 3 and higher
  • have all their links followed (we remove automatic nofollow)
  • spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately hide the post
  • flags cast on TL0 user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-silence the user and hide all their posts
  • make their own posts wiki (that is, editable by any TL1+ users)
  • Daily like limit increased by 2 ×

TRUST LEVEL 4

You can only get to Trust Level 4 by Manual promotion by me Smile ! Trust Level 4 is intended to be used to promote non-moderator members to enable them to assist in running the forum. I'm uncertain as to whether I'll ever use this feature.

Users at trust level 4 can
  • edit all posts
  • pin/unpin topic
  • close topic
  • archive topic
  • make topic unlisted
  • Split and merge topics
  • Daily like limit increased by 3 ×

Just a reminder that this site will become read-only from 10pm tonight.

There will be a learning curve using the new software. Make sure that you take advantage of the tutorials available from Discobot and familiarise yourself with how the software works.

I’ve installed a plugin called, “Cakeday” which adds a link with the same name to the settings dropdown. Here, you’ll find all current and upcoming birthdays and site anniversarys. When a member has a birthday, a cake will appear next to their username when they post.

There will be some teething problems, but rest assured that I’ll be keeping an eye on things to make sure that the site makes it easier for you to visit and post. I’ll create a post in the Help forum for you to log any issues. Just realise that some things that have priority may be stuff that you can’t see but need to be fixed first Smile

Please give the new colour scheme a chance - it is actually easier on the eyes and I’m sure that it will gain acceptance over time.

See you all on the new site - I hope that you enjoy it!
Cheers!

You had me at hello....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New version of forum software coming soon Ned 55 5,208 18-05-2008, 22:36
Last Post: Ned
  Synergy is coming! Ned 2 996 30-01-2007, 22:50
Last Post: Ned