Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to fix the deliberate rushed behind
How to fix the deliberate rushed behind

IT’S the rule that has divided the footy world.[Image: b.gif?host=www.heraldsun.com.au&blog=877...ef=&feed=1]

[url="http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/how-to-fix-the-deliberate-rushed-behind-with-the-superfooty-podcast/news-story/1717d401b44e2e0acf9cc2975c54ba06"]Continue reading...[/url]
Cheers!

Please don’t PM me with help issues as I won’t respond. Use the Help & Suggestions Forum.
2018 - Fighting Tiger Fund Patron
2018 - Official Richmond Cheer Squad Member
Green gave up the chase and had his arms out before Short had rushed it through the posts.

Green got rewarded for non effort and that is the point that annoys me with any of these rule changes. Goes against the grain to reward non effort.

Some one on PRE or OER suggested that the point get awarded and then a free kick is awarded from the centre square taken by the ruckman.

Doesn't fix the interpretation but lessens the impact of a wrong call.
2017 Advocate for the Rising Star Jack Graham
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. Ronald Dahl 1978
Gracie, post: 1495969, member: 4835 Wrote:Doesn't fix the interpretation but lessens the impact of a wrong call.

And that's the problem Gracie. Why can't we eliminate the interpretation part completely ?

If the AFL are hellbent on not rolling it back to where only the blatantly obvious are paid , then here's a rough sketch of how I think it could be done.

Someone will no doubt tell me why this won't work and I haven't put much thought into it but...

If an opposition player is the last to touch the ball before it goes through your goal then it's 2 points.

And it very rarely happens these days but...If any opposition player handballs or kicks it through your goal , or if they punch it through on the full from a ball up or boundary throw in , then you are awarded 3 points.

Problem I see straight up is more video reviews , especially when several players are competing on the goal line as a shot for goal falls inches short.

Bloody Joel Bowden ! lol

[COLOR=rgb(255, 255, 255)] [/COLOR] THOSE MIGHTY TIGERS !
That's over complicated for me.

I'd like to see it tweaked so it is still a behind but it is balled up at the top of the square.

I still think the rule was applied well on Saturday. Short made a mistake by diving. If he had of been 20 metres out and dived on it and been pinged for holing the ball no-one would say a word and I think the philosophy is the same.

Don't kill the ball, keep it moving. He should have picked it up and exited right, handball to Menadue who takes the short option along the boundary to Ellis who has run hard to provide a bail out.

He brings the ball back into the centre to Houli who breaks the line and kicks through the corridor where Elton presents, hands past to Cotchin who kicks to the advantage of Dusty who goals from 30.

Simple.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work.

I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.
But if Short is 20m out and dives on the ball he can only be "pinged" if Green attacks the contest. If Green holds back waving his arms pleading for a free he wont get one.

Rewarding non effort.
You can look at it from the other way though and say that had Short played the ball and picked it up, the fact Green was hanging back would have let him run off with it.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work.

I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.
thebigricho, post: 1495975, member: 9766 Wrote:That's over complicated for me .

How can it possibly be more complicated when I've removed 'interpretation' out of the decision ?

thebigricho, post: 1495975, member: 9766 Wrote:I still think the rule was applied well on Saturday. Short made a mistake by diving.

The rule was applied horribly on Saturday.

Short made no mistake at all.

He probably read the AFL memo leading into the 2017 season that said if you're in the goalsquare and are under any form of pressure you can rush it through for a behind.

End of story.

thebigricho, post: 1495977, member: 9766 Wrote:You can look at it from the other way though and say that had Short played the ball and picked it up, the fact Green was hanging back would have let him run off with it.

Shirley you can't be serious ?

thebigricho, post: 1495977, member: 9766 Wrote:You can look at it from the other way though and say that had Short played the ball and picked it up, the fact Green was hanging back would have let him run off with it.

Just watched it again from side on.

Short was at full pace and the ball only 4meters from the goal line. He would have had to slow down to be able to pick the ball up and turn. He could not have picked it up at the pace he was going. Momentum would have taken him through the goals.

Slowing down would have brought Green right on his tail to either tackle or get the ball loose and kick the goal.

Short could not win.
There was a benefit later though, the players were spooked by it. Later Essendon kept the ball in when under more pressure on the goal line, turned it over and Dusty goaled.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Umpires should ‘call on feel’ for deliberate rules Ned 7 708 30-05-2017, 00:27
Last Post: honestjohn
  Calls For The Afl To Fix The Fixture Forbesy 10 487 27-08-2011, 18:59
Last Post: Flawed
  Rushed behind penalty gets all clear Gimme 23 1,287 23-03-2009, 14:52
Last Post: SouthernStand
  Free kick for rushed behinds in NAB Cup Lisa 11 824 16-12-2008, 08:26
Last Post: SouthernStand
  The game can fix itself seenitall 4 630 24-04-2006, 13:33
Last Post: seenitall