Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Umpires should ‘call on feel’ for deliberate rules
Umpires should ‘call on feel’ for deliberate rules

LEIGH Montagna says umpires should be backed to “call on feel” when it comes to rushed behinds and deliberate out of bounds decisions, after a contentious call went against the Tigers on Saturday night.[Image: b.gif?host=www.heraldsun.com.au&blog=877...ef=&feed=1]

[url="http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda-veteran-leigh-montagna-says-umpires-should-call-on-feel-when-it-comes-to-contentious-decisions/news-story/4815bfbf9be26648f075c2f3ceae4ff9"]Continue reading...[/url]
Cheers!

Please don’t PM me with help issues as I won’t respond. Use the Help & Suggestions Forum.
2018 - Fighting Tiger Fund Patron
2018 - Official Richmond Cheer Squad Member
No. That would be far too sensible an approach.

The rushed behind decision against Short was appalling. The official response...he was not under physical pressure. So he needs to sprint full flat out for fifty metres, stop dead just prior to collecting the ball, wait for Green to tackle him, then rush the behind.....ridiculous !!!

Green pulled up when he thought Short might rush the behind and should have been penalised for playing for a free kick. It's tantamount to diving in the penalty area in soccer ......
Dustin Martin ......the 2010 model Daniel Rich !!!!Big Grin
ROYCY HART A TRUE CHF, post: 1495939, member: 5412 Wrote:No. That would be far too sensible an approach.

The rushed behind decision against Short was appalling. The official response...he was not under physical pressure. So he needs to sprint full flat out for fifty metres, stop dead just prior to collecting the ball, wait for Green to tackle him, then rush the behind.....ridiculous !!!

Green pulled up when he thought Short might rush the behind and should have been penalised for playing for a free kick. It's tantamount to diving in the penalty area in soccer ......

Correct
2017 Advocate for the Rising Star Jack Graham
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. Ronald Dahl 1978
Ned, post: 1495920, member: 1 Wrote:umpires should be backed to “call on feel” when it comes to rushed behinds and deliberate out of bounds decisions
They already do. When they 'feel' Richmond need to be taken down a peg or two, they make a call against us.
ROYCY HART A TRUE CHF, post: 1495939, member: 5412 Wrote:It's tantamount to diving in the penalty area in soccer ......
You obviously watched the FA Cup final Big Grin

Player sent off for this attempted cheat.
amigo, post: 1495955, member: 6019 Wrote:You obviously watched the FA Cup final Big Grin

Player sent off for this attempted cheat.
On reflection, the obvious Aussie Rules parallel is ducking your head when it is clear you are going to be tackled, and we all know you are penalised for that !!!
Dustin Martin ......the 2010 model Daniel Rich !!!!Big Grin
I don't have a problem with the Short decison, I think it is absolutely correct.

He had other options, he could have picked the ball up and exited right or handballed to Menadue.

The mistake he made was diving at the ball, in the same way as if you dive on it during general play.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work.

I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.
The rule is ridiculous because it encourages forwards to do nothing in the hope of winning a free kick AND it is subject to an umpires interpretation - havent we got enough rules subject to umpires interpretation already?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to fix the deliberate rushed behind Ned 14 853 31-05-2017, 00:14
Last Post: ceehook
  ‘Players are not target of umpires’ Ned 0 254 29-04-2017, 18:02
Last Post: Ned
  Wayne Campbell to replace Jeff Gieschen as umpires' boss :O Ms Tantie 7 1,007 30-12-2013, 15:06
Last Post: Gimme
  Departing umpires boss Jeff Gieschen proud of increasing respect to umps withagrin 5 635 29-11-2013, 06:55
Last Post: RROFO
  Make yourself feel better by bagging other teams (especially Carlton) here thread Cardtrader 61 1,971 14-09-2012, 18:06
Last Post: Cardtrader
  Those Umpires duncan 38 1,220 23-12-2011, 22:56
Last Post: Dmactiger
  Umpires should not know the free kick stats Dmactiger 15 1,174 13-05-2008, 23:06
Last Post: regit
  Not in the same league, but rules rules, OK? seenitall 0 421 30-09-2006, 07:27
Last Post: seenitall
  AFL Umpires Tigers82 18 1,085 16-09-2006, 15:17
Last Post: QuotheRaven
  Umpires 'defying' AFL over changes chris88 1 457 30-03-2006, 15:59
Last Post: proffessional optimist