Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expansion into the Northern States (not Tassie)
Yes, [USER=9596]@bagwarn[/USER] 10,000 fans at the match.
AFL has given GWS everything on a platter and more to no avail.
Apart from the regular NRL season, the amount of media attention devoted to the State-of-Origin series in the rugby league states is extraordinary.
Brisbane Lions. 15 per cent win ratio in the past three years, roughly one-fifth of Hardwick's tenure.
"Alea iacta est" ("The die is cast") Caesar, crossing the Rubicon to eventually become Emperor, January 10, 49 B.C.
There are two qualities in the world, mediocrity and excellence.
Hard work, discipline, faith and integrity lead to success.
NRL games average a 15k crowd so it's all relative. Completely different market.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work.

I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.
Demetriou admits Gold Coast Suns will only be a minor team, says Caro on Footy Classified tonight. $100 million investment!
Brisbane was gifted Voss, Akermanis, Black, Power, the Scotts, Leppitsch, Brown. [SIZE=16px]Now a rabble.[/SIZE]
The media coverage of State-of-Origin in the rugby league states is extraordinary.
The fifth leading article on Google news Australia tonight is the NSW origin squad announcement.
"Alea iacta est" ("The die is cast") Caesar, crossing the Rubicon to eventually become Emperor, January 10, 49 B.C.
17Sash, post: 1495622, member: 9595 Wrote:Demetriou admits Gold Coast Suns will only be a minor team, says Caro on Footy Classified tonight. $100 million investment!
Brisbane was gifted Voss, Akermanis, Black, Power, the Scotts, Leppitsch, Brown. [SIZE=16px]Now a rabble.[/SIZE]
The media coverage of State-of-Origin in the rugby league states is extraordinary.
The fifth leading article on Google news Australia tonight is the NSW origin squad announcement.

To maintain the integrity of this forum, sometimes you have to call people on talking crap.

Sash, you're talking crap.

Even if I concede Voss and Akermanis as 'gifts' (which I don't as they were zone selections which was common at that time), Black was drafted at pick 31, Power pick 5, C Scott 12th, B Scott traded from Hawthorn (Brad Scott and draft selection 51 (Scott Ralph) from Hawthorn for John Barker, Nathan Chapman and draft selection 42 (Matthew Dennis), Leppitsch drafted pick 4, Brown pick 30 as a father son.

Under no definition can any of those players be called 'gifts'.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work.

I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.
The Brisbane Lions were gifted extraordinary draft concessions.
The Brisbane experiment has failed.
Eight wins in three years.
The AFL approves the coach and CEO.
NSW and Queensland are rugby league heartland.
They are not "different markets" to the AFL "expansion".
The first State-of-Origin match last year attracted an audience of 4 million viewers.
On Footy Classified tonight, they discussed the establishment of a Tasmanian AFL team.
The Sydney Swans are a viable team, but the Suns, Giants and Lions are not.
The AFL will prop up those three teams to the detriment of the competition.
NSW and Queensland are Rugby League heartland that is correct.

It is also correct that the state of origin is one of the most viewed TV shows in Australia.

However participation rates in NSW now exceeds Rugby League. NSW/ACT has the highest participation rate of any state in Australia. Rugby League stalwarts are bemoaning the ever increasing expansion of AFL with previous rock hard Rugby League schools now installing Aussie Rules posts on schoolmgrounds.

The NSW and Queensland expansion plans have not failed in fact they are only starting to bloom.

The AFL strategy will not be assessed on today's information but will be assessed on information dated 2050 and beyond. The AFL is targetting the hearts and minds of kids not even born yet. It is targetting the kids of the kids currently in primary schools and pre-schools.

Sash you cant judge Brisbane on 8 wins in 3 years.

You might not be old enough to remember when Sydney won 8 games in 3 years 1992 to 1994. In fact in the 6 year period 1990 to 1995 they won just 28 games from 86. In the 21 years since then they have played finals in 18 of those years and played in 6 grand finals winning two.

And the AFL will continue to prop the Suns, Brisbane and Giants up just as they prop up North, Saints, Melbourne and have propped Richmond up in the not too distant past. And it is not to the detriment if the other clubs as without these teams some of these other teams would have ceased to exist, including Richmond.
2017 Advocate for the Rising Star Jack Graham
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. Ronald Dahl 1978
All I know is tomorrow, the Lions and Suns would go under.
The competition is compromised and the favouritism and largesse cannot be extended definitely.
There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Caro said on Footy Classified on Monday night that the Lions will receive an extra $5 million for facilities.
The Swans have received generous salary allowances over the decades and now they are a viable team. They are in a leading consumer market and attract corporate sponsorship.
Similarly, the NRL has one viable team in AFL heartland, the Storm.
Melbourne is the fastest growing city in Australia, Victoria is the fastest growing state, leading Australia in employment growth, outstripping other states combined.
The projections for AFL teams in southeast Queensland were made in the 1990s, when the region was falsely expected to become Australia's leading growth region.
[USER=9595]@17Sash[/USER] Other than Caro, can you please reference some of these 'statements' if they are indeed fact - start with the Gold Coast one about growth.
Ah [USER=9595]@17Sash[/USER] you are too cute for words.

Yes Melbourne is - currently - the fastest growing city
Yes Victoria is - currently - the fastest growing state
and I don't have the stats for employment but given growth rates I expect you would be right there
In the early 1990s Victoria lost population and a lot of these to Queensland. Maybe they are coming home?

But unfortunately for you the sun does not revolve around Melbourne.

here are some more facts for you:

There are twice as many people living in NSW and Queensland than live in Victoria

NSW and Queensland have 4 AFL teams. Victoria has 10.

Now where would you look to grow the game? In Tasmania with a population of 520,000 growing at 2600 persons per year (which is even well under the national birth rate %. Tasmania should be growing at 26000 if it matched the rest of Australia birth rate. And this does not include immigration figures which are higher than birth rate nationally) or would you look to add teams to an area which has half of Australia's population now at 12,500,000 growing by 177,000 per year - 51% of Australia's total population increase.

If you add in Victoria 3/4 of Australia's population live in these three states

Looking back at Australia's population. At our last premiership the national population was just on 15million. As at today there is said to be 24,466,200 aussies. So approximately 10million that have never seen a Richmond premiership Sad

Looking forward population stats come in high medium and low predictions but in every case the population growth is huge. Basically it will double with the only thing being will this happen in 30 years or 40 years or 50years

That will be 25,000,000 more people who have never seen a Richmond premiership - if we don't do something about it.

And just where will there 25000000 people live?? Tasmania??

No the high majority of them will live in the area from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast.

Victoria - you know the state with 10 AFL teams - will grow from 5.6million (as at 2012) to 10.3million by 2060ish
NSW/Queensland - the states with 4 AFL teams - will grow from 12 million (2012) to 20.8million by 2060ish

I know if I was a multi-million dollar business where I would be investing for the greater return. And since the NSW/Queensland area is the strong hold of my biggest competition I am going to need a war chest and be prepared to spend big to ensure my business is successful not necessarily today but in 50 years time when I hand over to my kids.
2017 Advocate for the Rising Star Jack Graham
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. Ronald Dahl 1978
Gracie, post: 1495632, member: 4835 Wrote:Ah [USER=9595]@17Sash[/USER] you are too cute for words.

Yes Melbourne is - currently - the fastest growing city
Yes Victoria is - currently - the fastest growing state
and I don't have the stats for employment but given growth rates I expect you would be right there
In the early 1990s Victoria lost population and a lot of these to Queensland. Maybe they are coming home?

But unfortunately for you the sun does not revolve around Melbourne.

here are some more facts for you:

There are twice as many people living in NSW and Queensland than live in Victoria

NSW and Queensland have 4 AFL teams. Victoria has 10.

Now where would you look to grow the game? In Tasmania with a population of 520,000 growing at 2600 persons per year (which is even well under the national birth rate %. Tasmania should be growing at 26000 if it matched the rest of Australia birth rate. And this does not include immigration figures which are higher than birth rate nationally) or would you look to add teams to an area which has half of Australia's population now at 12,500,000 growing by 177,000 per year - 51% of Australia's total population increase.

If you add in Victoria 3/4 of Australia's population live in these three states

Looking back at Australia's population. At our last premiership the national population was just on 15million. As at today there is said to be 24,466,200 aussies. So approximately 10million that have never seen a Richmond premiership Sad

Looking forward population stats come in high medium and low predictions but in every case the population growth is huge. Basically it will double with the only thing being will this happen in 30 years or 40 years or 50years

That will be 25,000,000 more people who have never seen a Richmond premiership - if we don't do something about it.

And just where will there 25000000 people live?? Tasmania??

No the high majority of them will live in the area from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast.

Victoria - you know the state with 10 AFL teams - will grow from 5.6million (as at 2012) to 10.3million by 2060ish
NSW/Queensland - the states with 4 AFL teams - will grow from 12 million (2012) to 20.8million by 2060ish

I know if I was a multi-million dollar business where I would be investing for the greater return. And since the NSW/Queensland area is the strong hold of my biggest competition I am going to need a war chest and be prepared to spend big to ensure my business is successful not necessarily today but in 50 years time when I hand over to my kids.
References please.
And post #242 onwards have nothing to do with Sacking Hardwick.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Footy and driving in Tassie (split) Vines 24 1,265 22-04-2013, 15:27
Last Post: Jase30
  Tassie Footballers in the VFL/AFL Gimme 53 2,148 14-02-2012, 23:06
Last Post: Lev_Davidovitch_Hafey
  Prostit-Roos Seal Tassie Deal TigerAdam 42 1,356 23-12-2010, 11:03
Last Post: thebigricho
  It's time Tassie had a seat at the AFL table Forbesy 5 406 18-07-2010, 21:31
Last Post: JT Tigers Fan
  Expansion speculation. Flawed 32 947 12-05-2010, 21:28
Last Post: Lisa
  Tassie gets a guernsey in Demetriou vision for the future Gracie 38 2,195 30-10-2009, 09:44
Last Post: JT Tigers Fan
  Ballarat, Tassie, where would you send the Roos and other stories. Flawed 28 976 15-08-2009, 12:36
Last Post: Crusher
  Ray of hope for Tassie Gimme 0 414 02-04-2009, 22:01
Last Post: Gimme
  No to a Tassie team. Gimme 52 3,832 24-04-2008, 14:47
Last Post: tonys-a-tiger
  TV coverage in northern states Gracie 9 616 22-02-2007, 17:30
Last Post: Bifrost