Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Yellow Sash Award
Round 23 voting has now concluded and I'm happy to announce that the runaway winner in the year's Yellow Sash Award is Dustin Martin.

Dusty is now the second player (Trent Cotchin being the other) to win the Yellow Sash Award 3 times having won last year and also in 2013.

Each round, members of Yellow and Black awarded 3-2-1 votes for the best afield. When voting for each round closed, the top 3 vote-getters were awarded 3-2-1 towards their season score.

The final standings are:
1 Dustin Martin 41
2 Alex Rance 24
3 Trent Cotchin 18
4 Jack Riewoldt 11
5 Bachar Houli 8

=6 Anthony Miles 6
=6 Ben Griffiths 6
=8 Shaun Grigg 4
=8 Brett Deledio 4
=9 Nick Vlastuin 3
=9 Daniel Rioli 3
=9 Kane Lambert 3
=9 Shaun Hampson 3
=13 Taylor Hunt 2
=13 Andrew Moore 2
=15 Todd Elton 1
=15 David Astbury 1
=15 Jayden Short 1

The Yellow Sash Award board of honour can be found at http://www.yellowandblack.com.au/communi...yellowsash
Cheers!

Please don’t PM me with help issues as I won’t respond. Use the Help & Suggestions Forum.
2018 - Fighting Tiger Fund Patron
2018 - Official Richmond Cheer Squad Member
I love dusty. I love Rance.
But here is why we were terrible in 2016-Bachar missed three quarters of the season and came 5th in the sash.
So the return per game per player (average votes per game):

Dustin Martin 1.9
Alex Rance 1.2
Trent Cotchin 0.9
Jack Riewoldt 0.5
Bachar Houli 0.7
Anthony Miles 0.3
Ben Griffiths 0.5
Shaun Grigg 0.2
Brett Deledio 0.4
Nick Vlastuin 0.2
Daniel Rioli 0.2
Kane Lambert 0.2
Shaun Hampson 0.2
Taylor Hunt 0.1
Andrew Moore 0.4
Todd Elton 0.5
David Astbury 0.1
Jayden Short 0.1

Richmond ( I think) used the most players this season (41) which means that 23 players got donuts. That's a lot of nothing.

Disturbingly, there some fairly senior players with lots of game time this season, who could not crack a vote.

Ellis, Brandon 22
Lloyd, Sam 22
Edwards, Shane 19
Vickery, Ty 17
Grimes, Dylan 16
Menadue, Connor 14
Ellis, Corey 11
Markov, Oleg 8
Batchelor, Jake 8
Morris, Steven 8
McIntosh, Kamdyn 6
Conca, Reece 6
Castagna, Jason 5
Townsend, Jacob 4
Drummond, Nathan 4
Lennon, Ben 3
McBean, Liam 3
Maric, Ivan 3
Marcon, Adam 2
Broad, Nathan 2
Moore, Callum 2
Chol, Mabior 1

Probably cut the younger/newer players some slack, but jeepers that's not good. Will be interesting how the JD treats the donuts players.

Actually, now that we've dumped 5 assistants, do their votes still count?o_O
-=2016 Advocate for "The Shed"=-
-=2017 Advocate for Ivan (MkII) Soldo=-

______________________Au MRC FTF
BigTigerCasey, post: 1481632, member: 5585 Wrote:jeepers

Nice bit of sponsor sucking-up there BTC. Big Grin

Bored!
Ms Tantie.
xox
2017 advocate for Nathan Drummond - on the rise...
Ms Tantie, post: 1481658, member: 5678 Wrote:Nice bit of sponsor sucking-up there BTC. Big Grin

Bored!
Ms Tantie.
xox
Waiting for the phone call about delivery

BigTigerCasey, post: 1481632, member: 5585 Wrote:So the return per game per player (average votes per game):

Dustin Martin 1.9
Alex Rance 1.2
Trent Cotchin 0.9
Jack Riewoldt 0.5
Bachar Houli 0.7
Anthony Miles 0.3
Ben Griffiths 0.5
Shaun Grigg 0.2
Brett Deledio 0.4
Nick Vlastuin 0.2
Daniel Rioli 0.2
Kane Lambert 0.2
Shaun Hampson 0.2
Taylor Hunt 0.1
Andrew Moore 0.4
Todd Elton 0.5
David Astbury 0.1
Jayden Short 0.1

Richmond ( I think) used the most players this season (41) which means that 23 players got donuts. That's a lot of nothing.

Disturbingly, there some fairly senior players with lots of game time this season, who could not crack a vote.

Ellis, Brandon 22
Lloyd, Sam 22
Edwards, Shane 19
Vickery, Ty 17
Grimes, Dylan 16
Menadue, Connor 14
Ellis, Corey 11
Markov, Oleg 8
Batchelor, Jake 8
Morris, Steven 8
McIntosh, Kamdyn 6
Conca, Reece 6
Castagna, Jason 5
Townsend, Jacob 4
Drummond, Nathan 4
Lennon, Ben 3
McBean, Liam 3
Maric, Ivan 3
Marcon, Adam 2
Broad, Nathan 2
Moore, Callum 2
Chol, Mabior 1

Probably cut the younger/newer players some slack, but jeepers that's not good. Will be interesting how the JD treats the donuts players.

Actually, now that we've dumped 5 assistants, do their votes still count?o_O
Good summary mate but remember that the folk voting on this award have a considerable bias towards and against certain players. For example Hampson would have to play 80% better than he did for me to squeeze him into the top 3 players, S Edwards also. That's my bias showing through.

I also forgive Dusty a certain amount of miskicks and clangers due to the rest of the work he does. I don't afford some other players the same leniency.

Who here can claim that they judge all of our players equally?
But isn't that true in any assessment that is some what personally judged?

Over time and with a larger enough voter base, the biases tend to even themselves out.

I'm sure that you didn't vote for the Hampster, yet he still got votes.

you know my biases, yet they are not shared by all (well, maybe they are) but he got no votes.

As I said, it was more telling who didn't get votes

BigTigerCasey, post: 1481690, member: 5585 Wrote:But isn't that true in any assessment that is some what personally judged?

Over time and with a larger enough voter base, the biases tend to even themselves out.

I'm sure that you didn't vote for the Hampster, yet he still got votes.

you know my biases, yet they are not shared by all (well, maybe they are) but he got no votes.

As I said, it was more telling who didn't get votes
Yes it is true of any such assessment. I suppose what I am saying is that it is possible for a player who scored no votes to play ok / good footy in a number of games and poll no votes because others also played good footy and got the nod ahead of them.

We also all look for different things on the field. I like players who can win their own footy and be creative with it once they have it. I feel sorry for our forwards in the set up they are forced to play in so if they kick a number of goals I'm likely to appreciate it. Similarly I appreciate the efforts of Rance who is required to work so hard because of a dysfunctional midfield.

If lets say Jack kicks 6, Dusty gets the ball 30+ times and is creative and accurate with the ball and Rance halts the opposition forays forward then it doesn't really matter re votes if Ty/Griff kick 4 goals and Cotch/Miles/Edwards/Bellis get 25 disposals because my leanings have the votes distributed already and yet they would have deemed to have played well.
Ahh [USER=6364]@Rumpole[/USER] my learned friend! So true within a game; but across 22 games in a season I would expect a key player to pick up at least one vote.

True, whipping boy couldn't muster a vote despite being the highest goal kicker in two games, and equal highest in three others. So bias may play an influence in this; does it also explain why BJE, who had the highest total disposals in two games, and second only to Dusty on three occasions and twice to other players, couldn't crack a single vote across 22 games?

As I pointed out, I would be interested to see how the votes line up on JD night. If BJE polls in the top 10, I think the club needs to explain to the supporter base how he has contributed to the game plan, 'cause on the basis of the Yellow Sash votes, none of us can see the value add.

It all comes down to voting systems. When you only have 3-2-1 it is difficult to acknowledge good games or even a string of them. The club uses a very different system. There were several times I wanted more votes to award and a few where I struggled to award any. A player who got no votes in a good win probably played better than someone who got three in a shocker.

The older system where we rated every player was a bit more reflective.
Now then now then now now then now now then then now now then. Now then!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2017 Yellow Sash Award Ned 0 48 04-05-2017, 12:56
Last Post: Ned
  2016 NAB Challenge Trial for Yellow Sash Award Ned 0 74 09-02-2016, 22:50
  2015 Yellow Sash Award Ned 2 112 17-04-2015, 13:14
Last Post: Vines
  2015 Yellow Sash Award - Nab Cup Ned 0 71 16-03-2015, 22:42
  2014 Yellow Sash Award Ned 21 459 06-09-2014, 17:36
Last Post: Vines