Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Other Games - 2016
HKTiger, post: 1468453, member: 4646 Wrote:And teams died at times, too exhausted to run and link. 3rd quarter between Bullies and Freo was just like last year congested and a rolling maul. In part coz Freo wanted to/needed to shut the game down and in part coz the Bullies couldn't get separation any more. They finally got separation late in the last. Both teams were dead on their feet at the end.

I am curious as to how long that pace can last.

Hopefully the sides will adjust and adapt to have players who "stay at home" a bit more and thus are able to play out the game without running out of legs.

For example, If our gun forward Jack was to play more as a gun forward deep in our F50 (I like simple, old fashioned footy) then he will fatigue less and any rotations he was to use would now be available to one of the midfield - and we'd have a gun forward to kick to all the time!
ceehook, post: 1468433, member: 4642 Wrote:again Collingwood will come out like Carlton did last week and play hard and have little to lose

Good.

The more times we are placed under pressure and we claw our way to a win the better.
2017 Advocate for the Rising Star Jack Graham
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. Ronald Dahl 1978
Rumpole, post: 1468454, member: 6364 Wrote:Hopefully the sides will adjust and adapt to have players who "stay at home" a bit more and thus are able to play out the game without running out of legs.

For example, If our gun forward Jack was to play more as a gun forward deep in our F50 (I like simple, old fashioned footy) then he will fatigue less and any rotations he was to use would now be available to one of the midfield - and we'd have a gun forward to kick to all the time!
Agree, thing is with Jack, he needs to be full of beans when the ball comes forward, it is his pent up energy and determination that enables the high flying and quick on ground recovery. He has the best hands in the league, but he is running on half a tank by the time he runs up and down the ground pursuing a DH dream that requires him to have eternal energy.
Is it that Damien's dream game is unachievable, but every year he begins with the same plan, hoping it will suddenly happen, then when it goes to mud he starts using a more realistic structure. It has happened most years of his tenure. Suddenly he changes back to a man on man, hard tackling and Jack in the square.
That's when we look good. Start Jack up forward and leave him there unless we are being thumped then change it around. He has is it arse about at the moment.
One thing I should mention, Lyon and Clarkson seem nonplussed about early losses. Is this because they have a season plan of gradual improvement and intensity, to ensure the side is at it's best at the end of the year, not the beginning. Maybe, that is what we are doing this year, I really hope so. In the past we save our best footy for mid season then run out of everything come finals.
There was a discussion in the Tigers vs Carlton thread re teams being primed and at their peak for round 1 and others preparing for a marathon rather and for a sprint.

Can we apply these situations to the Collingwood/Sydney game or the Bulldogs/Freo match?
Possibly. The results could be an aberration or a true form line. Way too early to tell.
"The future will be better tomorrow." (Dopey) Dan Quayle
[USER=6364]@Rumpole[/USER], good question. Freo looked poor. They lost the contested ball by 40 odd. That's massive, that's us vs the Roos in the elimination final. But the Bullies had run and carry and weave and cut through Freo with ease. There was a few times the Blues did that to us as well. But in many cases it was due to a missed block, missed tackle, missed attempt at smothering the ball. We're normally very good at that, disrupting the chain, so to speak. When we did disrupt the chain we kicked goals easily.

History has shown the game slows down after about round 7. If you rely on the fast paced game and overlap run but can't get the needed separation, what do you do then ?
''Since that day as a very young boy staring out enraptured between MCG bodies I have known it always has been and always will be about the club.''
Our game plan has held up over the last 3 years, although our depth has struggled to come up. The game plan has also seen us take a 6 goal lead in one final, a 4 goal lead in another, and get flogged in the last one.
Can it be adjusted when we get scored on? Seems to based around keeping the opposition the 60-80 points.
Fit young teams often start well. Then they slow down. For me train for the biggest part of the season, get your structures right you may lose one or two early but you will win a lot coming home. You can't afford to be 0 and 6 which we were one year but 3 and 3 isn't a problem and still gives a top 4 finish well and truly achievable. I am not saying we are good enough for top 4, what I am saying is i'ld rather at this stage training and playing in a method that can get you there. History is littered with March champions that finish on 4 to 7 wins.
Sponsor of Daniel Butler 2015-17
2005-2014 Sponsor of Daniel Jackson

Member of Yellow and Black the greatest of all Football Sites.Cool
Danger. Handy player. Cats getting a huge half from Zac Smith as well.
Stringer is a key player, as we saw last year. Opposition teams will try to contain. The challenge for the Western Bulldogs will be to have another player stand out if he is closely checked. Bontempelli is another key.
Dangerfield is obviously a key target to neutralise. Opposition teams will be waiting to see how he fits into Geelong's game plan.
"Alea iacta est" ("The die is cast") Caesar, crossing the Rubicon to eventually become Emperor, January 10, 49 B.C.
There are two qualities in the world, mediocrity and excellence.
Hard work, discipline, faith and integrity lead to success.