Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who'll be Our Next Couldabeens?
Okay, our 2016 list has been finalised. At this stage, we haven't seen a single recruit play for the Tiges. We only have a thread of hope linking each player's highlights reel to our perpetually unfulfilled dreams. So what better time to place our bets on who will be our next couldabeens?

Ignoring things like career ending injuries or HarleyBennellic off-field demeanours, who are the most likely players to be evicted from their lockers at the end of next season. Such eviction could be for reasons such as:
  1. just not up to AFL standard
  2. okay, but won't be part of our next premiership side
  3. superfluous to needs; ie third or fourth banana for a certain position
Below are my own discussion starters. Please add your own, citing for each name which of the above criteria applies, your reasoning, and whether they are likely to be delisted or traded. At various points during the season, we can revisit this thread to tweak our predictions.

By the way, [USER=5108]@Black[/USER] has offered himself as a human sacrifice to the person proven to be the best prophet.

A few of my own predictions: (please bear in mind that I have no idea what I'm doing)

Just not up to AFL standard
  • Elton; too cumbersome; delisted
Okay, but won't be part of our next premiership side
  • Morris; overtaken by Yarran in defence or Lennon/C Ellis up forward; delisted
Superfluous to needs
  • Lloyd; ends up behind Rioli, Edwards and others who have more party tricks; traded, then tears us a new one the following year
  • Conca; ends up behind Townsend, Moore and the like; traded, but doesn't tear anyone a new one for the rest of his career.
  • Griffiths; falls behind McBean and Astbury for consistency; traded for another ruck/forward (I really hope I'm wrong with this prediction.)

(Look, I know this thread is entirely hypothetical and totally unnecessary, but, during the off-season, some of us have to cobble together a reason for living.)
History shows anyone Frank Jackson picks after round 2 or rookies is near buggered before they start.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work.

I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.
I like Lloyd. Something about him!!!
I get a dirty thrill out of yelling his name at the footy like an Essendon supporter.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work.

I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.
Fetish freak!
OK, I have approached this differently, I have looked at the list and have selected, who I consider to be walk up starts, the rest have to earn their positions by season start.
Lids, Dusty, Cotchin, Jack, B Ellis, Rance, Edwards, Houli (sorry black, him or Yarran,) Miles, Vlaustin, Maric, Ty. That leaves 10 spots with more than 30 challengers. Me thinks a lot of players have to start living and eating footy or they will busking.
terry31, post: 1465259, member: 9577 Wrote:OK, I have approached this differently, I have looked at the list and have selected, who I consider to be walk up starts, the rest have to earn their positions by season start.
Lids, Dusty, Cotchin, Jack, B Ellis, Rance, Edwards, Houli (sorry black, him or Yarran,) Miles, Vlaustin, Maric, Ty. That leaves 10 spots with more than 30 challengers. Me thinks a lot of players have to start living and eating footy or they will busking.

Grimes would have to be an over sight Tez? I can understand you leaving Grigg out.....
amigo, post: 1465265, member: 6019 Wrote:Grimes would have to be an over sight Tez? I can understand you leaving Grigg out.....
No oversight, Yarran, Taylor Hunt, Astbury, Griffiths, Batchelor, Chaplin, Morris, Castagna, Moore, Broad, maybe even 1 of the rookies, all can play in that position. I rate Dylan, but he will have to be at his best coz the competition is red hot. Also has to get through the pre season without injury, I reckon he has his hands full.
To save time they didn't give Hampson a locker this year, just a Coles shopping bag. Having said that he would really need to improve to be considered a couldabeen
Maric & Ty as start-ups? Are we talking 2017 season?

I love Ivvy, but that might be a season too far for him.

Ty - needs consistency before he gets a rose.

Again if this is season 2017 we are looking at, Houli Dooley might be getting long in the tooth (although it would seem he is being groomed for a role forward, so that might extend his career, but then we have the likes of Lennon, R.McK who could really step up in 2016).
-=2016 Advocate for "The Shed"=-
-=2017 Advocate for Ivan (MkII) Soldo=-

______________________Au MRC FTF