Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Site Software update
As I mentioned in the Site Survey post, I have been busy lately working on shaping how Yellow and Black will look going into the 2015 season and beyond. One of the things that I have been keen to incorporate into Y & B is original content which was also viewed favourably by those who responded to the survey. I am under no illusion that this may take some time to gain momentum, but I believe that it is worth the initial teething problems to get this site where it needs to be. There are some wonderful blogs out there and I want to capture that essence at Y & B!

The first step is to have the software platform to support these contributions. I believe that I now have the ability to do this through the use of Wordpress (blog software) and Xenforo (forum software). The next step is to call on those people who indicated that they would be willing to contribute 1 article every 1-2 months. It is my intention to have original articles shown on the homepage along with match information rather than merely reposting articles from the RFC site and media outlets. I want to showcase the articles created by members, not merely reposting media information. There is a place for that as well, just not as a site highlight!

I have shared the test URL with members of the Coaching Panel and some select members. I am hoping to have most of the bugs and annoyances ironed out in the next week so that I can perform another trial migration and get things setup as required.

I am aiming to make this new software live before Round 1, so I have tentatively looked at March 15 and 16 to make the change. By my calculations, the site should be in transition (i.e. unavailable for new posts) for approximately 3 hours. I haven't set a definite time yet, but my ideal start time would be around 11PM on the 15th. I will confirm the details closer to the time.

I'll post more information soon. In the meantime, I'm happy to respond to your questions regarding the change.

If you would like to put your hand up to contribute an article every 1-2 months, please PM me or e-mail me at [email protected]owandblack.com.au.
Cheers!

Please don’t PM me with help issues as I won’t respond. Use the Help & Suggestions Forum.
2018 - Fighting Tiger Fund Patron
2018 - Official Richmond Cheer Squad Member
I'm not a select member? Cry

Harumph!
Ms Tantie.
xox
2017 advocate for Nathan Drummond - on the rise...
Having a mental blank and can't find how to PM you [MENTION=1]Ned[/MENTION] but would love to contribute articles.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work.

I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.
thebigricho, post: 1451311 Wrote:Having a mental blank and can't find how to PM you [MENTION=1]Ned[/MENTION] but would love to contribute articles.
I will also be happy to submit articles. Tempted to write one about how last year I had a better time at VFL games at Punt Rd than sitting up on high at the MCG. Might be because the games I saw at the MCG were not played at our attacking best.
I'm happy to report that the migration has been a success in that all users and posts have made it to the new software.

There are many items I still need to attend to and haven't yet been able to test all the functionality so there may well be some deficiencies!

It's now 2:45am and I have to get to sleep so I can get up for work in the morning, so I will have to attend to these fixes later today. All I ask is for you to be patient and I'll get things fixed up as soon as I can. I haven't been able to get the Wordpress side of things working yet, but hope to have that in play soon.

In the meantime, I hope that you're able to read the posts here and hopefully able to post as well!
Cheers!

Please don’t PM me with help issues as I won’t respond. Use the Help & Suggestions Forum.
Of course we can [USER=1]@Ned[/USER] you have excelled. The new site looks and feels great and that is only at the start. Nice to see members putting their hands up for articles. This will be a good evolution for the family at Yellow & Black
Sponsor of Daniel Butler 2015-17
2005-2014 Sponsor of Daniel Jackson

Member of Yellow and Black the greatest of all Football Sites.Cool
AGH! Please can we have a 'new posts' button on the start page, and somewhere obvious? It lists them down the righthand side, but they're not clickable!

Plus, animated avatars aren't working... Sad

It's your site [USER=1]@Ned[/USER] and, of course, yours to do with as you wish (and I'm very grateful for your spending the time and expense to give us all this forum). But change seemingly for the sake of it can be frustrating for many. The site as it was worked beautifully.

Befuddled.
Ms Tantie.
xox
2017 advocate for Nathan Drummond - on the rise...
Did you not read my earlier posts as to why I've installed the software and that I'm working through things to improve it? I don't post updates to keep myself amused you know!

Cheers!

Ned
Cheers!

Ms Tantie, post: 1451490, member: 5678 Wrote:AGH! Please can we have a 'new posts' button on the start page, and somewhere obvious? It lists them down the righthand side, but they're not clickable!

Plus, animated avatars aren't working... Sad

It's your site [USER=1]@Ned[/USER] and, of course, yours to do with as you wish (and I'm very grateful for your spending the time and expense to give us all this forum). But change seemingly for the sake of it can be frustrating for many. The site as it was worked beautifully.

Befuddled.
Ms Tantie.
xox
The last 25 posts are now listed on the homepage and are clickable.

The last time we used this software, the same issue arose. A simple search of this site found this solution: http://www.yellowandblack.com.au/communi...st-1421075
Cheers!

Don't mind it at all Ned...Charlize appears bigger. Always a good thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Footy Tipping software Ned 7 918 26-08-2016, 15:48
Last Post: Jools
  Forum Software Update Ned 26 5,717 10-02-2016, 12:19
Last Post: Jools
  Site Software Update Ned 169 11,478 10-12-2013, 16:42
Last Post: Ned
  Site Software Changes Ned 166 7,573 13-02-2012, 12:52
  Site Software Ned 105 7,022 05-05-2011, 11:06