Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richmond VFL Captain 2014
No doubt next year we will want a player to captain our VFL side, and that player should be one of the 11+ non-Richmond players we will be recruiting in order to have a consistent leader.

So who should it be?

Here are a few of my candidates:

Shane Tuck: Will likely retire, and has been a great servant of the club. Great to have around the club too, so would be a good candidate if he thinks he could do it.

Richard Tambling: I know I know but bear with me. Can't make it at AFL level, but is killing it in the SANFL, and is apparently a good leader. Plus he would be able to do work at our indigenous institute, which would mean a lot to him. Isn't too old either, so would hold the position for a few years.

Orren Stephenson: Likely to retire, but still has good ability at VFL level. Is a good leader for our VFL side, and could probably do with the income.

Daniel Giansiracusa: Touted as a future coach, and has shown he still has playing ability. Very experienced too.

Simon Black: Same as Giansiracusa.

Daniel Cross: Good leader and very experienced. Will be leaving the bulldogs at the end of the season, though is likely to go to someone like GWS rather than a VFL side.
If you told me you didn't miss me, I would more than likely call you a liar and walk away. Then, umm, find some place to get some ice cream to replenish the innocence you blackened with your filthy deceits. (I like strawberry).
Good topic 'blade!

Why do you have so many outsiders on the list? I reckon Stephenson might go around again, and he would be a good choice. We also have a lot or perennial bridesmaids - Dea, Batchelor - who might actually step up with the added responsibility.

(BTB, what the hell is that Lama doing??? Is that the evil eye?)
-=2016 Advocate for "The Shed"=-
-=2017 Advocate for Ivan (MkII) Soldo=-

______________________Au MRC FTF
BigTigerCasey, post: 1423696 Wrote:Good topic 'blade!

Why do you have so many outsiders on the list? I reckon Stephenson might go around again, and he would be a good choice. We also have a lot or perennial bridesmaids - Dea, Batchelor - who might actually step up with the added responsibility.

(BTB, what the hell is that Lama doing??? Is that the evil eye?)

We could go for some ex-Richmond players like Miller or Moore, but they have probably been out of the game for too long. And we can't use a player that's on our main or rookie lists because we need a constant captain in our VFL side.

Because we have so few old players, we really don't have many options other than to recruit retirees from other clubs, or someone like Tambling who isn't for our AFL side but is a good leader and a consistent VFL performer.
If you told me you didn't miss me, I would more than likely call you a liar and walk away. Then, umm, find some place to get some ice cream to replenish the innocence you blackened with your filthy deceits. (I like strawberry).
Tucky's retirement announcement fits in very nicely here. He may have retired from AFL footy but not sure about VFL. Would be a great lead by example captain for our young bucks.
If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them - Henry David Thoreau
It would be fantastic to have Richard Tambling back at the club. I wonder how he would feel about it?
Advocate of the next RFC premiership team
Nights, where do you get this idea that Tambling is killing them in the SANFL?

The games I've seen he's barely noticeable. Besides I reckon Punt Road would be the last place he'd wish to return to.

It's a good idea to have a regular captain in the Twos - I remember Bull Richardson was and looked to have his cards stamped except Len Smith promoted him back up to Seniors. I think there's enough to choose from without importing strangers.

We will have a better idea once we see who makes up the list.
[COLOR=rgb(255, 140, 0)]MY AVATAR: [SIZE=4]1967 WEG tiger[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Nightblade081, post: 1423695 Wrote:No doubt next year we will want a player to captain our VFL side, and that player should be one of the 11+ non-Richmond players we will be recruiting in order to have a consistent leader.

So who should it be?

Here are a few of my candidates:

Shane Tuck: Will likely retire, and has been a great servant of the club. Great to have around the club too, so would be a good candidate if he thinks he could do it.

Richard Tambling: I know I know but bear with me. Can't make it at AFL level, but is killing it in the SANFL, and is apparently a good leader. Plus he would be able to do work at our indigenous institute, which would mean a lot to him. Isn't too old either, so would hold the position for a few years.

Orren Stephenson: Likely to retire, but still has good ability at VFL level. Is a good leader for our VFL side, and could probably do with the income.

Daniel Giansiracusa: Touted as a future coach, and has shown he still has playing ability. Very experienced too.

Simon Black: Same as Giansiracusa.

Daniel Cross: Good leader and very experienced. Will be leaving the bulldogs at the end of the season, though is likely to go to someone like GWS rather than a VFL side.

Doubt Tambling will come back to play VFL. He'll prob go back to NT if he's not on an AFL list next year. I reckon Gia and Black will be in some sort of coaching role next year. Can see Cross getting a gig @ GWS. Orrens family lives in Ballarat so you'd think he would want to stay closer to them. Tucky is going to live in SA too.

Not sure who it should be
dean_#00, post: 1423736 Wrote:Doubt Tambling will come back to play VFL. He'll prob go back to NT if he's not on an AFL list next year. I reckon Gia and Black will be in some sort of coaching role next year. Can see Cross getting a gig @ GWS. Orrens family lives in Ballarat so you'd think he would want to stay closer to them. Tucky is going to live in SA too.

Not sure who it should be

If Tucky's brother was rookied by a Victorian club (hopefully us???) would that change his mind? If we rookied Travis it would be great for the brothers to play together in the Tigers two's.
If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them - Henry David Thoreau
4morein74, post: 1423756 Wrote:If Tucky's brother was rookied by a Victorian club (hopefully us???) would that change his mind? If we rookied Travis it would be great for the brothers to play together in the Tigers two's.

Agree. Travis has shown a lot this year too, and stepped up his quest to get back to AFL level.

Wouldn't mind giving him Shanes number too. Would mean a lot to him I reckon.
4morein74, post: 1423756 Wrote:If Tucky's brother was rookied by a Victorian club (hopefully us???) would that change his mind? If we rookied Travis it would be great for the brothers to play together in the Tigers two's.

Travis is playing at West Adelaide under Andy Collins where Shane was when we drafted him. With Shane going to Adelaide and can see them both being at West Adelaide a lot more likely than both being at Richmond
Advocate of the next RFC premiership team

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tigers in the News Richmond’s 2019 VFL fixture Ned 0 399 21-12-2018, 10:12
Last Post: Ned
  VFL Grand Final Richmond v Port Melbourne TigerHardwick 88 2,381 26-09-2017, 21:27
Last Post: Vosstiger
  2015 VFL Richmond v Esserdum BigTigerCasey 20 3,197 03-09-2015, 10:40
Last Post: Barrel
  VFL 2015 Round 4 Richmond vs North Ballarat BigTigerCasey 40 3,849 10-05-2015, 23:44
Last Post: PROjECT
  VFL 2014: Round 20 Richmond v Footscray Forbesy 36 2,958 21-09-2014, 22:12
Last Post: thebigricho
  VFL 2014: Round 19 Richmond v Essendon Gimme 19 1,900 17-08-2014, 22:43
Last Post: Black
  VFL 2014: Round 18 Rich v Bendigo Forbesy 18 2,010 11-08-2014, 13:58
Last Post: Dmactiger
  VFL 2014: Round 17 Rich v Sandringham Forbesy 9 1,335 06-08-2014, 11:12
Last Post: Gimme
  VFL 2014: Round 16 Rich v Port Melb Forbesy 55 4,490 02-08-2014, 14:58
Last Post: Gimme
  VFL 2014: Round 14 Rich v Geel Forbesy 26 2,708 13-07-2014, 14:01