Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellow Sash voting query
Yellow sash voting. Well I haven't done it before but in these 1st 2 rnds I've been hard pushed to give someone 0 which kind of makes it hard to give people 1 and so on because I think everyone who's taken the ground has given something within the game. So for me someone like Nahas would get a 1 because even though he was on a short time he did have a positive impact. However I reserve the 3 for my outstandings, 2 for really good but not outstanding. Leaves me 1 for others that are well and truly worth more than I'd give Nahas yet I've no where to go. Think there should be a 4 option. Maybe I need lessons on how to vote for the Yellow Sash. Sigh....
Re: Official Y&B Off-Topic Thread

Claw, post: 1404447 Wrote:Yellow sash voting. Well I haven't done it before but in these 1st 2 rnds I've been hard pushed to give someone 0 which kind of makes it hard to give people 1 and so on because I think everyone who's taken the ground has given something within the game. So for me someone like Nahas would get a 1 because even though he was on a short time he did have a positive impact. However I reserve the 3 for my outstandings, 2 for really good but not outstanding. Leaves me 1 for others that are well and truly worth more than I'd give Nahas yet I've no where to go. Think there should be a 4 option. Maybe I need lessons on how to vote for the Yellow Sash. Sigh....
The system has worked well for about 10 seasons. You have to earn a point. If you're clearly beaten by your direct opponent, you probably should score "0". 1 point should be given only to those players who have had fairly good games, not players who've been fairly quiet, who have had fairly low possessions or turned the ball over a little too much, or made some crucial errors. If they've been "nothing special", but not bad, that's still a "0" type game. A young player who comes in, tries hard, does a couple of good things, but doesn't have much of an impact on the game should score "0".

When the team has performed very well you should probably have between 14 to 18 players getting more than "0"; if they've had a win like on Friday then probably 13 to 16 get above "0"; if they perform okay, but lose to a good team then perhaps 11 to 14 score above "0"; in a bad loss then you may only have 5 to 9 players getting above "0". How does that sound?

It's pretty personal how you vote and there's no right or wrong answer I don't think.

I vote like this.

0 - Player has a complete shocker, we all have them. It's not a negative vote it's simply an absence of points.
1 - Player plays at the standard you would expect of an AFL footballer without doing anything particularly special.
2 - Player has a good game and is a solid contributor playing above average.
3 - Player has an extraordinary game dominating their position. Perhaps they turn the game or are pivotal in a win.

Someone like Nahas coming on as the sub would probably have trouble earning a 3 from me but if they do a good job they could earn a 2, the job I expect a 1, absolute rubbish a 0.
2013 advocate for Nick "the Destroyer" Vlastuin (Floss-tone) aka "Tigger" AND Kamdyn "the name" McIntosh.

That is pretty much how I vote RROFO. It is all about perception as well. For example Cotchin could get 25 possessions at 60% DE and I would give him a 2. Where as if Conca had this impact I would give him a 3. This is because I have a level of expectancy for Cotch and for Conca and the score I give them is based on my perceived contribution from the player in regards to how I think they usually play. So as RROFO mentioned it is a personal reflection of how you think they played with no right or wrong answer (unless you give Cotch a 0....then that is wrong :cautious1:
2013 Advocate for Steven Morris #38 and Shaun Grigg #6

It has to be a super-dooper extraordinary domination of a game to get 3 from me.

Having said that, I'd better go and vote.
[COLOR=rgb(255, 140, 0)]MY AVATAR: [SIZE=4]1967 WEG tiger[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Lids gets three every week. Lock that in. Then work out if anyone else was any good and vote accordingly.

Thanks for everyone's input. So I shouldn't feel too bad about giving a 0 and work up from that. This I can do. I've voted now but wish I could go back and do it again. Just all so wrong. Ah well...next week.

0 is all on the field. Then 1,2,3 graduating as I see their performance as over and above the ordinary.

Doh! Confusedtupid: Kind of blatantly obvious now.
I do it close to how Duncan put it.
I had more 0 votes in Rnd 1 than Rnd 2.
Depends if I have been at the game or not, I find it easier to be more specific & sure of my - err - Duncan's parameters if I've seen the game live. Usually don't vote if I haven't been at the game.

Sponsor 2019- Jack Ross
I would like to mention that I was the person who designed and set up this scoring system all those years ago, and what I've outlined above is the original intent and structure of the system, and the way it has always operated. It was on that basis that I made those comments.

It seems to have worked quite well, and tends to fairly closely mirror the club's b& f awards, with obviously some variations as you would expect. Whether it is the best system or not is another issue, and can be addressed at the end of the season if desired.When I set it up I believed it was a much better way to capture the contribution( or not) of all players than the traditional way you find on most forums of giving 3 - 2 - 1 votes to each poster's 3 best players.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2019 Yellow Sash Award Test Ned 4 86 14-03-2019, 17:37
Last Post: Vosstiger
  2017 Yellow Sash Award Ned 0 91 04-05-2017, 12:56
Last Post: Ned
  2016 Yellow Sash Award Ned 9 217 05-09-2016, 18:37
Last Post: Egg
  2016 NAB Challenge Trial for Yellow Sash Award Ned 0 123 09-02-2016, 22:50
Last Post: Ned
  2015 Yellow Sash Award Ned 2 159 17-04-2015, 13:14
Last Post: Vines