Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drop that player! Develop that player!
Personally I think it's too early in the season for calls to drop players from the list but lets face it, it will happen at the end of this year.

Given we are aiming at finals and a flag over the next few years we can hardly turn our list over again as we did 2 years ago. Nope we've been there done that and now we are building toward the holy grail.

I would posit that any side taking a tilt at the flag would need to have stabalised a list with depth for at least 2 years. That's not to say we wouldn't take in an experienced key position player in that time.

This years draft is touted as a bumper and we will top our list up with young players. We will probably also go down the path of taking experience through the trade/free agency route.

The number of new players we can take on is not infinite so by my reckoning there will still be players on our list at the end of this year who may not be performing to an expected level but will have to be retained the following year.

Given the time line proposed and on numbers alone we can't drop all those on our list who in the past year and pre season/round 1 have underperformed. If we want to contest a flag there are underperforming players currently on our list that have to improve.

My questions are which players do you consider we have no choice but to drop, which players will we have to retain and develop, who has no future development potential and who has.

The questions have to be considered on the preface we will be contending a flag in 2014/15 so there is a time restaint.

I guess the exercise requires we look at the definte keepers, the maybe's and the definitely out then calculate what positional weakness we can realistically fill by bringing in new players next year/following year given the numbers we can actually recruit.

Look forward to reading everyones thoughts both now and throughout the year as the season unfolds and a better understanding on how the current playing list is improving (or not).

Time to firm up that premiership winning side now!
You're right it's too early.

Sponsor 2019- Jack Ross
Is this drop as in delist at years end?

If so, I haven't seen enough of this years recruits to make a decision on them yet. I think McGuane and Connors would be lucky to still be on our list at the end of the year. Dean MacDonald is pretty much gone already, and Webberly will need to fight for his spot on the list. I think White is safe however, as he is a good player for us a depth. I think one of either Graham or Browne might goat the end of the year as well. (I'm tipping Graham could go to GWS, who are looking for another mature-ish ruckman.)

As for developing? Again I can't make a decision on the new guys just yet. But as for the rest of the list, Helbig has shown he can play, Astbury too. Derickx could be a force, as could Griffiths. Post too needs to be developed. Don't forget, big guys take longer to develop.

It will be interesting to see how opinions change in a few weeks, let alone by the end of the season.
If you told me you didn't miss me, I would more than likely call you a liar and walk away. Then, umm, find some place to get some ice cream to replenish the innocence you blackened with your filthy deceits. (I like strawberry).
I'm a newb so do really have an interest in everyone's opinions as I'd like to take these into account and watch players at the ground throughout the year.

I'd also like to know how many can we reasonably delist given the number we can recruit (quality of recruitment needs to be considered in that I assume) and level of experience we can reasonably lose.
For instance Nightblade has a possible 4 or 5 experienced players as possible outs.
Nightblade081, post: 412220, member: 2240 Wrote:Is this drop as in delist at years end?

If so, I haven't seen enough of this years recruits to make a decision on them yet. I think McGuane and Connors would be lucky to still be on our list at the end of the year. Dean MacDonald is pretty much gone already, and Webberly will need to fight for his spot on the list. I think White is safe however, as he is a good player for us a depth. I think one of either Graham or Browne might goat the end of the year as well. (I'm tipping Graham could go to GWS, who are looking for another mature-ish ruckman.)

As for developing? Again I can't make a decision on the new guys just yet. But as for the rest of the list, Helbig has shown he can play, Astbury too. Derickx could be a force, as could Griffiths. Post too needs to be developed. Don't forget, big guys take longer to develop.

It will be interesting to see how opinions change in a few weeks, let alone by the end of the season.
Yes I do mean delist.

With those you see as possible outs do you see replacements for them in our existing list or would you look to recruitment?
Anduril, post: 412219, member: 779 Wrote:You're right it's too early.
last years list management thread started after our second practice match after the crows wolloped us.

see we have improved.

"said the actress to Da Vicar!"
I don't think you can make an informed position this early, otherwise you'll be writing off players who could significantly improve. Give players a chance to show us what they can do.
This is very early and well there is always a list of players who need to perform this year and a lot of list management questions, like what are our ruck stocks do we have to many or the right number? is there a junior ruckman worth drafting ?

What we do know is that we will be looking at 3 picks inside the first 2 rounds and perhaps 1 pick after that depending of the depth and also looking to sign a free agent so our list needs to turn over at least 5 players at seasons end given that we don't seam to have any players in retirement mode (except made Moore depending on his recovery) the bottom 5/6 players on our list will be turned over for what will hopefully be young or experienced players who fit into the top 15 players on the list then we can grow.

Looking at last year you would have to say that big Ivan Maric will slot into the top 15 players and by years end you would expect to see Ellis also up in that region, Morris, Arnot, Elton need to finish the year in the top 30 players on our list IMHO to consider last year a step forward which I think is a possibility perhaps only Elton will struggle and only due to the time bigger body's take to develop.

Its easy to start the discussions about this now but we have 22 rounds to go and a lot can happen in that time players will come in and out of form so we might not know who is on the bottom 5-6 players until round 18-20 this year but at this stage the decision on who to cut and who is in the bottom 5-6 players is much harder at least for my mind than the last few.
[size="3"][color="#FF8C00"]4 years and counting[/color][/size]
What would be interesting would be to see where people actually rate players on our list, Edwards has come into criticism lately but he is in our best 22 Grigg also has been criticized but again in the 22.
Perhaps people could put together their list and we could revisit them at seasons end?
[size="3"][color="#FF8C00"]4 years and counting[/color][/size]
I agree Dunc and Andy - way too early to tell.

Players can also turn it around. Ala tucky from 2010 to now. Tucky didnt play the first few games in 2009 and people said the writing was on the wall for him. dimma was going down the kids route and tucky was apparently out. 2 years later still at the club and plugging away.
[COLOR=rgb(255, 255, 0)]Proud sponsor of #11 Cleo in 2014 (who dissed me at the Players Sponsors dinner in 2015) Smile[/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2019 Player Countdown Gracie 28 421 Yesterday, 09:46
Last Post: Gracie
  Player Ratings for the 2017 AFL Grand Final Ned 0 125 29-09-2017, 14:53
Last Post: Ned
  Dusty ‘just a bloody good player’ Ned 0 74 23-07-2017, 18:53
  ‘Player A’ should be looking at six weeks Ned 0 65 28-06-2017, 09:06
  Tigers and Swinburne develop new sport media course Ned 0 68 21-06-2017, 13:53
  Tigers drop tight one to Swans Ned 0 64 17-06-2017, 20:12
  AFL teams: Cox axed, Tigers drop three Ned 7 308 30-03-2017, 06:16
Last Post: TigerHardwick
  2017 Player Count Down Thread Gracie 264 6,378 22-03-2017, 16:35
Last Post: Lazza
  'Good player, good leader' Ned 10 656 14-06-2016, 20:21
Last Post: Black
  Deledio determined to be a one-club player Ned 1 247 10-06-2016, 10:49
Last Post: terry31